Friday, December 16, 2022

Hiro Ramen & Tea Bar

I came here when it first opened and the ramen was decent if you needed a quick fix. The bubble teas sucked. I never wrote it up because I forgot about it 5 minutes after leaving the joint. So, it was about time to see what they are up to these days. Walked in and the entire place was redesigned. I had to do a double take to see if I walked into the right place. Sure enough it was but it was under new management. There were no customers in the entire place... Rut Roh. But it was cold and rainy day which called for a steaming bowl of noods. Let's see if the ramen will satisfy the fat one or will it just be a steaming bowl of shit...

Tonkotsu Ramen. It took like 30 minzies for 2 bowls of ramen to come out. But when it did, the Pouch immediately sensed something was amiss... The Pouch's Spidey sense has never failed the obeast one. When it starts tingling, you just gotta be warned. So, this bowl came out and even before the server had a chance to make contact with the table, I knew something wasn't right. The smell and color were dead giveaways. The first thing I always do with a bowl of noods is taste the broth. I tasted the tonkotsu broth and it had no flavor whatsoever. It was thin and watery. It tasted like dirty dish water. I have instant tonkotsu ramen at home and the powder soup base is 100 times creamier and thicker than this slop. There is no fucking way I was gonna eat this when they are charging $15. I just pushed it aside and waited for server to come back... Waited and waited, nothing. I got up and asked the front desk girl for the server. She asked what was wrong and I said the tonkotsu is awful. They were nice about it and took it away. But she did say that they were under new management and chef and they were still working things out. Working things out? If you want to use me as a guinea pig to test your shitty ramen then you shouldn't be charging for it. Shit, I wouldn't eat this if it was free... Unless you're a Yelper. I got the miso ramen as a replacement. Not really what I wanted but they had no other decent options.

Shoyu Ramen. The Pouchette got the shoyu ramen but the broth didn't look any better. It looked like just water down soy sauce. Tasted it and it literally had no evidence of the broth base either pork or chicken. Don't bother looking for the deep, complex, and high umami flavor. It was literally just water, sugar, MSG and soy sauce. The funny thing is that hard-boiled soy egg was so white even with it sitting in the soy sauce soup. The paper thin chashu slices were acceptable. I was surprised that they even had menma in there. Shoyu usually calls for curly ramen noodles but they can't even get that right. But the straight ramen noodles themselves were actually pretty good. This bowl's composition was not correct at all.

Miso Ramen. This replacement bowl came out in like 2 minutes, all I could think of was how many people spit in it, hmmm. All that brown in a white bowl only reminds me of one thing... Flush. Sadly, it will probably look exactly the same coming out. Tasted the miso broth... Eh, it was better than the tonkotsu at least. And that's not saying much. It's like replacing a slice of Cici's pizza with one from Little Caesar's, it's a parallel move, you're not moving up any higher in the food chain. First off, the broth was warm not hot. The soy egg was not fully hard at least... I don't think anyone would get fully hard eating this snatch, not even a blood flow. The noodles were good like with the shoyu. They are using the same noodle for everything. The chashu looks a little suspect to me... Let's take a closer look...

What. Da. Fuck. This may be the most comical short cut I have ever seen. They just charred the top half with a flame thrower. It made it bitter tasting. They should just call all their ramen bowls- Murphy's Law ramen. 

I will never come back to this dump. Based on the amount of people (0) inside the place they will probably change management again by the end of the year. Or better yet just close it down and let someone else with talent have the space. But who knows they may stay around forever like that god awful Brew and Bird at the other end. How is that place still in business with no business... It must a cartel front to launder money. Wait, are we in the Ozarks? Oh, I meant Lake Lanier.

1363 Clairmont Rd
Decatur, GA 30033

1 comment:

Pinky said...

Went there when they first opened. I see it’s still busted.