Friday, December 16, 2022

Frida's Taqueria

Sometimes, the fat underlord of slop finds a joint that is so good that it doesn't want the public to know about it... But that is a double edge sword. One side will keep the Pouch happy with no tourists and limit the crowd if there is no glowing review about it, but the risk is that they may shutter due to lack of business. The other side is to post about it and possibly risk the place getting slammed the minute after I hit the submit button. C'mon, Pouch, who are you kidding? You have one reader and that one fan may or may not read your post until next month. 
Fuck it, I'm gonna post this review anyways. I have passed by this place many times but if you don't look for it you will miss it. It's hidden in the corner of a crappy strip mall off Lawrenceville Hwy in Lilburn. I know what y'all are saying, where the fuck is Lilburn? I hear ya, bro. The only landmark that people may know on L'ville Hwy is the Hindu temple, BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir. The entire thing is made of white stone. I have neve been inside but there is a vegan cafe in there... Vegan. Well, anyways, this taqueria is adjacent to it. 
It's a cute little place but I don't care about cute, I care about the grub that will be going into the pouch. Let's take a quick look at the comidas...

Lengua Taco, $4.50. Eating the chunky bits of tongue is like French kissing a heifer. Sooo, everybody does that. Yeah, but daddy says I'm the best at it. This may be one of the best lengua tacos I have had anywhere. You can see what you're eating and the tongue was tender, juicy and flavorful. The hand made corn tortilla was spot on and it held together well through the last bite. I could eat like 10 of these. Just so damn tasty.

Picadillo Empanada, ground beef and potatoes, $3.50. Who the fuck jizzed on this? No matter, it's just protein. This is a new look for the lowly empanada. It tasted great, crispy dough and savory beef inside. No complaints here. I used the little red salsa on pretty much everything I ordered. They also have their home made hot sauces. There's one that is pretty damn spicy. Pouch likey. 

Elote, $3. Street corn has been all the rage the last couple of years. You see all these gringo joints appropriate this classic Mexican street food but they will never get it right... This joint gets it right and it's just plain good street food.

Tacos de Birria, birria broth, $12.95. Most places only give you two birria tacos but this place is doing one better, they give you three. And the "consomme" is just ridicously good. It's full of flavor and chunks of beef in there, too... It's a meal in itself. The birria tacos were some of the best I have had recently, too. Most places the tacos are so soggy you can't even pick it up. I prefer to dip them myself and these were perfect. Everybody is doing birria these days but this place does it so damn good for the right price.

Gorditas, Rajas con Queso, $3.50, Asada, $3. They call these "small stuffed corn tortillas"... Small? They look as plump as this fat ass. Man, those hand made corn tortillas are so damn good, I can't get enough of them. The asada was even better once you hot sauce them but the roasted poblano, corn and cheese one was the real winner... I ate everything I ordered which makes me a wiener, a girthy one.

This joint is worth the drive to Lilburn. Everything I have tasted were dericious... Wait up, hold up a minute here, are we in Bizarro World? Htrae? The Pouch didn't have one bad thing to say about this joint? Holy shit, there must be a god. The cat is out of the bag on this taqueria, now... Just don't all bum rush my new favorite little place. OK, my one reader? There is always the vegan cafe at BAPS.

5514 Lawrenceville Hwy
Suite A, Lilburn, GA 30047
www.fridastacos.com

No comments: