Saturday, February 3, 2018

Ah-Ma Taiwanese Kitchen Revisit

It's been awhile since I made a revisit... Mostly because Trader Joe's is such a constant fuckfest goat rodeo that I try to avoid it at all costs. I don't get why people are so in love with this place, everything is so low rent and the sheep gets suckered in by it's gimmicky packaging. Finding a parking space is next to impossible, it's worst than NYC with alternate side parking. I wish there were street sweepers that would take their garbage to the dump. And no one fucking knows how to drive or park up in this piece... It's like a bunch of Austin Powers trying to do a U turn. So, sometimes you just gotta park in the back lot and walk a little. I was actually heading over to Highlander for a couple drinks anyways but I didn't want to eat bar food... I needed some Chino grub... And Chico and Chang ain't gonna do it. I'm still surprised that this joint is still in business with Taiwanese street food in midtown, not exactly the demographics for that cuisine but I'm happy for them since it's different than anything else around here.
Let's see how they're doing these days... Walked in and there are still FOBs supporting this joint. Good sign.

Fried Pig Ears. This may be the only mammal on this dusty rock that is totally edible from tail to snout... And y'all know that orientals will even eat the shit outta that porker's asshole. But let's focus on his head flaps. They are still pretty good but the portion has gotten smaller and smaller over time. But I guess how many pig ears can you eat... Well, shit, at least a pouchful.

Salt & Pepper Chicken. You can't go to a Taiwainese joint and not order the cheekan nuggets. Just like the pig ears, the portion size has shrunk as well. A few measly nuggets on a coffee saucer but they still retained the crispiness on the outside and tenderness on the inside. They were not that spicy, though. I forgot to tell them to make it extra spicy... I may have to get another order for dessert.

Cold Sliced Beef Shank. This looked amazing... Maybe because no one orders it except for this fat fuck, so, they were prolly happy to make a dish they don't do often... Who knows, but this was pretty damn tasty. I wished it was more spicy but it was good enough as is... It had the texture like a good headcheese. You can always spice it up with some chili paste.

Lu Rou Fan. The classic minced pork rice bowl... And it still tastes as good as it was in the beginning. It's such a simple dish but it tastes like a million bucks when you have been boozing 15 minzies ago at Highlander. They have nothing that compares to this... And you don't want to eat chili after slamming down a few Guinness. That's like a defcon 5 combination. Stick with the pork rice bowl and it will absorb everything in the pouch.

Pork Belly Bao. Yeah, yeah... These fucking buns are so 15 minzies ago but I was still curious to see if people even take these things seriously these days. Look at all that fat... Took a bite and nope, nope and nope. It was cold, gummy and gelatinous... Tasted like chewing on a giant gummi dildo soaked in tepid water mixed with Astroglide. Not that I would know what that would taste like but that was the first thought that came into my mind while I was in the bathroom. I still love steamed buns but not when I have to over pay for them in restos, just make them at home... It's easier to make than a PB&J sando.

Three Cup Chicken Wings. Of course, this fat fuck had to get some wings, I always get wings if it's on the menu. I will always be a wingman like the Goose. So, how are they nowadays? Hold on, I'll ask... Talk me Goose. They are still pretty good but I want more sauce, you gotta have them drowning in the sweet brown juice. I would like to taste some more rice wine, chilis and garlic in there but they were tender and juicy, though... And I'm also buzzed, so almost anything would taste good right now.

As if all that other food wasn't enough... I had to get a little dessert. So, make it another order of cheekan nuggets and make them spicy this time. But once again, it wasn't that spicy, I guess they have a heat limit for the roundeyes so they don't start choking and crying. Jesus, I think I got suckered in again for a tiny portion of cheekan nuggets... But I don't care. I make poor life choices when I'm guzzling down whiskey and Guinness. I'm gonna go broke drinking and eating like this and burning a hole in my fanny pack.

I still like the place, the food is still pretty tasty and the intown location is convenient when you're drinking around midtown but don't want to eat bar food. And I still fucking hate Trader Joe's and their cult followers who can't park for shit.

931 Monroe Drive NE A108
Atlanta, GA 30308

No comments: