Monday, September 9, 2013

Himalayan Spice

This little strip mall is full of ethnic grubbery. Well, mostly Ethiopian cuisine but this place has been around for a bit. Strangely, I never had the urge to cross this off my list. May be a pouch instinct thing but I needed to know if I was missing something that I shouldn't be. Most of time, I head straight for Popeyes with my blinders on and ignoring everything else when it comes to fried cheekan. So, after walking in and drinking in the atmosphere for a brief moment, I knew that this place would be either a hit or miss. It had all the proper FOB accoutrements, from the giant gaudy out-of-place bar that no one uses, the weird seating setup to the cheesy couches (aka lounge) on the side with the window view. Even the staff was on point with the fobbery... They looked like they just got dropped off the boat. All this head nodding is making sea sick. Let's get to the chow.

Kibble & Bits freebie... For a reason. You know what they say, corn never gets digested. Recycling is not always a good thing.

Chicken Choila. Server tells me that this dish was super spicy and a common snack with the locals to go with beer and watching sports or some shit like that. He had me at super spicy. I thought it would be some awesome authentic kick-my-taint kinda dish but this is what I got... A luke warm (temp wise) hacked up pieces of dried out pre-cooked cheekan mixed with stuff they found leftover from other plates. WTF is this garbage? It was neither spicy nor appetizing. These Nepalese people would be better off eating at Pine Street soup kitchen... And it's free.

Chau-Chau Noodles.This is their famous chau-chau noods? C'mon, who are you kidding here? It was goddamn shitty mongolian style stir fry but with thin spaghetti from a box. Fuck me, thin spaghetti... Like people are fucking idiots. Wait, I take that back. So, I ask this waitress who barely knew English let alone her name... "Is this box spaghetti?". She nods her head, smiles and proceeds to get me a take out box. Holy shit, the pouch just got sucker punched! Well played, senorita. I like your style.

MoMo.They should just rename this to "NoNo". First off, I asked them to steam these alpaca droppings, but instead they decided they want it their way like at Burger King and pan fried them. These dumps were so bland and boring, I almost fell asleep halfway into the first bite. These were not MoMo's, not even close. These wear frozen dumplings from the Asian market. And that slice of cucumber and carrot is there for....? My table was a little wobbly so I used the rock hard carrot as a wedge thinger... Shit was spot on!

Garlic Naan. Not terrible but one side was barely flame kissed, it was more like ass cheek wiped. It needed more garlic and more heat. It was a little too doughy and chewy. Yeah, they actually charge for this Bombay diaper.

Baigan Bharta. Fire roasted eggplant cooked with tomato and onion sauce. What do you pair the Bombay diaper with... But of course with some Delhi diarrhea! Ok, ok, I'm just fucking around... This was pretty good, though. But anything would be good after the sub-par Nepali grub I have sampled.

Ok, this was just a small sampling but it doesn't take a genius to realize that the Nepalese side of the menu was pretty much garbage but their Indian side of the menu read much better... I have not written this place off yet. Not until I have tried the Napali thali and Indian vittles. Stay tuned for the update! Jesus, I sound like this blog actually has an audience... Yeah, an audience of Harijans and crickets.


2773 Clairmont Rd
Atlanta, GA 30329
(404) 549-7602

http://home.himalayanspiceatlanta.com/Menu.html

2 comments:

Pinky said...

My bm after eating there resembled Chaka from Land of the Lost.

BobbyJenx said...

You seemed to have left off a key recap...how were the suds?