Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits

I don't eat much fast food these days. They are so tiresome and pedestrian. I feel bamboozled every time after the fact. When you're hungry, you think it will taste good but in the end... you just feel like a bloated sack of potatoes that makes you want to hurl voluntarily. But there is one fast food joint that I love and adore even though the service at most locations are a crapshoot. Popeyes and Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen churns out some really tasty fried yardbirds and more. It's no secret that I love fried chicken and had many different types from all over. Korean fried chicken is one of my favorite types because it's super crispy, almost grease-less and chopped up into manageable pieces.

Since the only intown Popeyes location is anchored in a "diversed" area, only the locals and diehard fans attempt to enter. On the corner of Boulevard and Ponce, it has seen it's share throughout the years... robberies, theft, shootings, stabbings, muggings, brawls, urination, defecation, rival conflicts with the late Church's across the street and the most recent a fire. This is my Popeyes... and I love it.


It has been repaired to it's low rent status and open for business once again. No need to feel endangered or suffer bodily harm anymore since they've employed the services of an off duty cop. Woohoo! Ok, let's get to the quick and dirty... the grub. Dark meat is usually my favorite because it's more flavorful than the white meat. But you don't have to twist my arm to eat either one. Flavoring, there's only one way to eat them fwied birdz... spicy! I mean the mild is ok but I end up dousing it in hot sauce which is ok too! The crust is the best part, it's crispy and not very greasy. When you bite into it, there's not much grease that squirts out unlike Church's. I guess some like the grease factor running down their arms but not me... I'm lubed enough. The meat is moist and tender and it really is hard for me to eat less than 5 pieces in one sitting. It's just a good tasting piece of ghetto pigeon.

The side items are a gamble at each location... not all of them have the same thing. WTF? I love the green beans but only a handful of stores makes them now. The cajun rice and red beans & rice are the classic tasty standbys. The mac & cheese, cole slaw and corn on the cob are ok. Some people love their biscuits, I, on the other hand am neutral on this filler. When it's hot and soft, it's good but let it sit for a few minutes... forgettaboutit! Tougher than cow muffins! Most of the sides are just for conversation, but the chicken is the real star here.


Their LA Kitchen stores... what can I say except that it has everything under one roof! Bonus that it's near my office in Norcross. This is called casual fast food where you order and sit down and the food is brought out to you. Is this working? Ah, looks like it from the crowd everyday. The menu is expanded with Po'Boys, Jambalaya, Gumbo, Shrimp entrees, Ribs, more sides, and desserts such as N'awlins Bread Pudding and Cinnamon Apple Pies. Don't expect to find authentic Nawlins dishes but just a glimpse of the flavors of the Bayou.




Stick with the chicken and sides at either concept, they're your best bets. Consistent and tasty to the last crumb. Popeyes, they really do good bayou!

Burp!

683 Boulevard NE
Atlanta, GA 30308
(404) 875-7070

http://www.popeyes.com/

No comments: