Thursday, March 19, 2009

Shrimpee's New Orleans Style Seafood


Fulton County Jail?


The crib.

Italian Hoagie'boy.


Fwied seafood & junk for your trunk.


"Stop eating the crap out of your food."

My interest was piqued and I had to see what the fuss was about after reading their motto. This joint is a hole in the wall... And I love it! This orange shack has more bars on their windows and doors than the Fulton County Jail. It is in Riverside afterall...

I walked in and took a gander at the menu... It's pretty limited and simple but sometimes that means good grub. Shrimp, whiting, catfish, chicken tenders, wings, jambalaya, red beans n rice, and "special" fries.

Shrimp Po'Boy - Their claim to fame... they de-vein the shrimp so you won't eat the "crap" out of your food. Awww, how sweet of y'all not to feed us crap. While the shrimp was decent size and flavorful, the bread was some hybrid cross of Italian hoagie and French baguette. It just didn't have that flaky crust with a soft, airy center. The bwead was craptastic and turned this po'boy into a red headed stepchild... I de-veined the bread and just ate the shrimp.

Shrimpee Combo - Whiting, catfish, shrimp, hush puppies and fwies. I asked if I could substitute the fries for red beans n rice but the guy seemed confused and dumbfounded, so I didn't want to push the limits of the Atlanta public education system. In other words... I didn't want to get shot since I left my heat in the car.
Back to the food, the crinkle cut fries were suppose to be a special brand of fries that they special order and pick up directly from the vendor. I tasted one when it came out nice and hot... It tasted no better than any other joint with the starchy inside and semi crispy outside... Exactly what you expect from frozen fries. The fried fishies, all of them were cut to the same size and you couldn't tell which was which until you ate it, they were nicely coated and fried but just passable on taste. Shrimp was the same as in the po'boy and the hush puppies were just compacted saw dust balls, nothing more than filler.

I really do like this place, they were very friendly and nice... Just a squirrel trying to get a nut. But they need to stick to the basics. Good bread for the po'boy, bigger flavors on the fried seafood and change out the special fries... Until then, I ain't gonna bust a nut over the grub.

PS- They accept "Master card and Visa".

Squirt.

2102B Hollywood Road
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404) 792-2185

No comments: