Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cakes and Ale

Every time I put in Dickhater in my GPS, I get nothing except... "Are you sure you're in Georgia?" I'm wondering if it meant Georgia O'Keefe...

I kept putting off this place because of two reasons: 1) the distance 2) the menu (it just didn't wow'd me). I guess it was about time I got deflowered by this joint and see if they can make me moan.

I can never find a good way to get here from midtown and finding parking is tiresome. But once you do it ain't so bad since you can walk to most joints. It's a nice cozy little place, simple and clean... Kinda like the menu.

Rosemary roasted almonds - Who doesn't like nuts with a rosemary scent while they are boozing? I like to store them in my cheeks like a chipmunk in the winter.

Gougères - 3 cheezball pate a choux... Nothing more, nothing less. They just kinda sit there on a boring plate, it might be more fun to put them in a satchel and rub them... Gently.

Potato gnocchi with spicy Italian sausage, olives & tomato sauce - Gnocchi was perfect, bite after bite... The portion size for $17, not so much. C'mon, it's taters, last time I heard there wasn't a 'late blight' in ages or mebbe it's just in their kitchen?

Cakes & Ale burger with fries - Ok, the standard to judge all burgaz in Atlanta should be the 10PM H&F $10 burga/fwies. While the meat was tasty and cooked to temp, the English muffin-esque "bun" killed it. It was dry and mealy. The shoestwing fwies is not even in the same league as the duck fat fwies. Not terrible but just not worth $14.

Cardamom whipped sweet potatoes - Velvety and smooth... Just like my pouch. This was a tasty side dish.

Phatty Cakes - It is what it is... But if I'm gonna get fat eating stuff like this, I rather stuff my piehole with Ho-Ho's or Devil Dogs. They're brown and white as well.

I do like the place because it's locally owned and I hope they stick around for awhile but all I ask is that you give some spark to the creative juices on the menu, if you want me to come again.

Another dwink for the Shot Caller, pweez.

Gulp.

254 W Ponce de Leon Ave
Decatur, GA 30030
(404) 377-7994

No comments: