Thursday, March 19, 2009

Rain

This joint is like a B-movie version of Asian cuisine... The Tara should show this fusion specimen on the silver screen and call it "Tropic Thunder 2" because it ain't Raining your usual suspects, it's pouring them.

Who came up with this menu... Simple Jack? This pedestrian menu reads like a silent movie and it made my eyes Rain. You got Japanese on one side and Thai on the other, I felt like I needed 3-D glasses to see the fusion dishes... And the pathetic wine list should be on a Post-It note. A reminder of what not to serve.

I took a gander at the "sooshee" and my first thought was the ER... Domo arigato but no more Mistor Roboto. Maybe something cooked would be a safe bet here... We shall see.

Spicy Conch and Octopus Salad - Sounds like dining at the "Y". Spicy? My mouthwash had more kick. Conch and octo were old rubbery discs and the portion was sparse. I think the cook cut his finger because the "spicy sauce" looked like blood droplets all over the edge of the plate... A la Emeril. Bam!
Kanom Jeep Dumplings - How many prep cooks were needed to squeeze out four tiny little Thai dumps... Freezer burn flavored dumps swimming in a spoonful of brown liquid aka soy sauce. Splash.
Kai Satay - 5 Chicken stix that had no char, no grill marks, no moisture, no flavor... Just change it to "Okay Stayaway". Peanut sauce by Jiffy. Cock-a-doodle-Doodie.
Basil Beef - One would think a dish with Basil in the name would taste like... Basil. Nah, that would be too easy. Although it was passable, it was just Mongolian beef in disguise. The menu listed 2 chili peppers but had the heat level of 2 snow peas. Moo... Boo.

Green Curry Chicken - Alright, finally something worth eating. While it wasn't stellar, it had decent flavor and real Thai eggplants. But the "bamboos" slices came with "Born On" dates. Freshness was merely a can opener away. Uncanny.

This is like a low budget flick that's difficult to see a second time around because you know exactly how it's gonna end but I'm sure... "I'll see you again tonight in my head movies. But this head movies makes my eyes rain!"

I felt like taking a bath after eating here but if you want a shower, go next door to BJ's, it's a Raining men...

Hallelujah!

3 Star - 2.5 Stars for the grub, .5 star for the gold lobster wine holder (I guess they knew the Shot Caller was in da houz).

2345 Cheshire Bridge Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
(404) 325-6963

No comments: