Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Cajun House

This area is the Staten Island of Atlanta... A wasteland, a dump, a shit hole. You got this run down bullet ridden strip mall across the street that looks like the set from Full Metal Jacket. It's barely standing up from the massive roach and crackhead infestation. But in the middle of all this filth, sits a shanty that delivers passable Cajun grub.

Oyster Po'boy - Verra nice sized deep fried sea snots... Not too shabby for goobers this side of town. The bread wasn't crusty enough but did the trick. It was 'dressed' with your standard fillers (LTM).

Gumbo - No hint of filé powder and definitely no roux... A muddy, watery, amateurish version of this beloved dish. Trick me at least, throw in some arrowroot or cornstarch to thicken it a bit instead of scooping it straight from the toilet. Geez.


Red Beans n Rice - Now we're talking... Creamy red beans and sausage on top of rice. Mmm. This was spot on. How can they do this right and the other sides half ass?


Jambalaya - Not as bad as I thought. But could use more stock to get it to the right consistency. I like my jamba to be a little drippy and served with Fwench bwead to sop up the delicious juices.


Cajun Rice - Decent flavor and one of the better dishes on the menu. How is it that Popeyes' version tasted so much more authentic?


Wings - Nice try but they were very mediocre, soggy and over cooked (how?). When I ask you for the hottest sauce you have, don't ask me if I can handle it. I handled your mom last night and she was a push over. Give me my damn wings HOT right now, woman!


This place ain't bad... They just need to work out a few things, especially the piss bucket gumbo. Not all was lost, I did spy a trailer down the street that said "Sensational Wings"... So I got that going for me.

Dammit Gambit...

2418 Bolton Rd NW
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404) 549-8490

No comments: