Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Las Brasas Long Awaited Revisit

Alright, y'all got me... No one has been waiting for my revisit here. I don't know if anyone even reads this stupid ass blog. I just assume there is at least one deviant fatso like me that would relish in these unorthodox food reviews. Just believing that there was another culinary maverick out there that thinks and eats like this corpulent slob keeps me producing these eloquent reviews. Who the fuck am I kidding? That one reader I speak of is me... I read my own shit because I'm obese and lonely. This is the stupidest blog ever allowed on the ultra web... Al Gore is rolling over in his king sized bed with two hookers as we speak. I'm sure one day he will ban me, but until then, I'm going to be that counterculture voice that must be heard... But it's mostly in my own head. Let's get to it shall we?
When Las Brasas was in that tiny shithole space which is now Doggy Dogg, their Peruvian chicken was fucking amazing... I still think about the first time I ate at that shithole back in the days. There's always something sexy about Latin grub produced from a holding cell made of cinderblock with window bars. That was some dericious juicy ass rotisserie cheekan. They got so popular that they needed more space to produce more volume. Unfortunately, the Peruvian rotisserie chicken became so mass produced and sat in warm boxes for hours on end and when it was served it lacked all the characteristics of a juicy flavorful chicken with that amazing golden shellacked skin that made it a Peruvian chicken. It was depressing as fuck and I filed this fowl in the back of the pouch and never made a revisit again... Until now.
The long awaited revisit of the once great champ, now, a study in moppishness. No longer the victory hungry Peruvian cheekan we've ate so many times before, but a pathetic, dried up, aged ex-champion. I'm still waiting for my two dollars from that visit. So, a buddy says he wants to try that chicken place... My pouch perked up and started growling. I was like, Popeyes?! He's like no, you fat ass... I want to try that Peruvian chicken joint. I'm like, fuck that noise, dude... That place sucked the last time I went. But he was adamant about it and since, I love proving motherfuckers wrong... I was like, fuck it, let's do this and see how they're sucking these days. I was kinda surprised they were still in business...

 
Lamb Empanada, spiced lamb with mint & chimichurri, $8. I was kinda surprised it was 3 emps instead of the usual two... But what surprised me was how golden brown they were. These aren't bad looking emps. But the garden salad didn't exactly go with it. The dough was crusty and flaky and the lamb mixture inside was pretty damn tasty... I couldn't believe it, did they learn how to cook after all these years? The chimichurri was garbage but the emps didn't need it. I would get these, again.. Did I say that out loud?

Pollo Frito (half), Peruvian spiced fried chicken, lime wedges, $12. I didn't want to risk the regular rotisserie chicken, again... But when there's fried chicken on the menu it will always trump any other chicken all the time. I must admit, this looked incredible. The crust was near perfect with a thin crispy skin. The golden brown color was gorgeous. Seriously, how can this be? This must be a dream... I better pinch my sack to see if this is real. Yes, it was real (in a high pitch)... Let's take a closer look...

I'm still in awe of this fine specimen in front of me... But looks are one thing, taste is another. Time to give this honeypot a lick. Split the thigh from the leg and took a bite... Damn, mofos! This shit was guud! The thin crust had a nice crunch, the flesh was moist and juicy and seasoned nicely... This was light years ahead of the rotisserie chicken I last remembered. It pains me to say this, but this was one of the best fwied cheekan that I have had recently and most surprisingly of all, at a place that left me disappointed many many moons ago. They have redeemed themselves in the chicken department once again. I may even come back to try the rotisserie... But this fried chicken is hard to pass up if I step foot in here, again.

Lomo Saltado, beef filet mignon, roma tomato, red onion, house fries, pisco, balsamic, soy & aji panca, $18. A classic Peruvian dish... It could use a bit more garnish of freshly chopped cilantro on top for color, but this was pretty close to it. I asked them to not over cook the filet, even a bit rare if they could so it's not chewy... And it came out pretty good. The red onions and tomatoes were toothy but the fries were a bit soggy, not that it made the dish any less appealing. It's a good dish and a good portion, easily shareable.

Chaufa Pollo, rotisserie chicken fried rice, egg & spices, $12. Asian cuisine has been very influential in Peruvian street food... And for the better. I have made this dish in a number of different varieties using different proteins... Chicken is classic but any leftovers will do like pork, steak, seafood, hot dogs or SPAM which is a personal favorite.

It's a generous portion but rice ain't expensive and fried rice should never be pricey in any language. Uh oh, I don't see much chicken in there... Stir it up, Pouch, you big dummy. And it revealed a plethora of chunks of rotisserie chicken. Jesus, I hope that shit is not dry as particle board. Took a bite and it was totally acceptable... This was a pretty tasty arroz chaufa, it might need a little bit more seasoning but the Pouch was putting this away bite after bite.

This was unreal, everything I have sample on this visit was more than acceptable. What kinda sorcery is this? How did these motherfuckers get their mojo back after such a disastrous display in the beginning? Well, I really don't care because that pollo frito had me at cockadoodledoo, ese... I would definitely go back for it again, but it still ain't no Popeyes!

Pump and a Burp.

614 Church St.
Decatur, GA 30030
https://www.lasbrasasdecatur.com/

No comments: