Friday, August 30, 2013

The Book House Pub

We all know the Book House is where all the hipsters come to play since no one really reads here, it's too dark. I'm no hipster but I'm digging their Tuesday Tiki nights. Where else can you pick your own tiki drinking vessel and the concoction to go in it? The bonus is that you can keep the cup thinger, too... You can also trade it in for something else if you grow tiresome of your goblet. The kitchen has gone through some (many) changes since the beginning. It was good, then bad, then ok, then crap and now it has gotten good again. It's not a huge menu but this isn't a huge place. It's a cozy little joint of oversized glasses, progessive hairdos (possibly just woke up hair), skinny jeans (yeah, they're still in here), thrift store rags, old wimmen bloomers and interesting tattoos in "why the fuck" locations. All these things are good things... Well, except the skinny jeans. No one wants to see your pubey plums. But let's get back to the food if we can after that image... The menu is a step above pub grub which got my attention. Let's take a look at a couple samples...

Roasted Bone Marrow. All this for seven fucking dollars? Fuck yes, bro. This is one of the best bone marrows I have had in this town and I have had all of them. Cut length wise and prepared spot on. Scoop some of that heavenly smeg on the grilled ciabatta and top it with a little chow-chow and you got yourself a tasty concoction. So friggin good.

So damn good, I had to get it again and again on every visit.

Chicharrónes and Spicy Bleu Cheese Chips. Awesome fried pork skins, crispy, fluffy and greaseless, same hot sauce as wingy. Buffalo Bill would rather eat them than wear them... Oh, wait... Wasn't the pouch a great big fat person? Yeah, I am. The bleu cheese chips were cute but you have to eat them pretty quickly or else they turn soggy like a wet diaper... That's the worse part when eating a bald pussy. Don't you hurt my precious!

Wingy. Get them naked, extra-crispy and sauce on the side... Trust me. They are good, very good here... And at a hipster joint. Can you believe that shit? The hot sauce is decent but it still works.

Veggie Burger. Yeah yeah whatever... It's edible, if you're a rabbit or a marmot.There's just too much green on this plate and I can't even smoke this shit. Depressing.

Fish Sandwich. This coulda been a hit or a real mess. All I could think of was the filet-o-fish. But I was pleasantly surprise, a hunky piece of greaseless fried fish, crispy outside and steamy flaky inside. The ciabatta bun was surprisingly fresh and good. Fresh hand cut fries were super hot and crispy.

The menu/food execution has been on a roller coaster ride ever since they opened... I'm glad they picked up their game with very acceptable bar food and more. I'll prolly go through the entire menu eventually but I'm a sucker for that bone marrow and wingy. I'm starting to have another bromance with this hipster spot. 


736 Ponce De Leon Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30306
404-254-1176
http://bookhousepub.com/

No comments: