Thursday, June 18, 2015

Villaggio Gastro Italian

The people from Publik and Baraonda opened a new Italian joint in the Emory strip mall where Community Q is. I always liked those two places and now let's take a look at their new Eyetalian spot... But wait, I know what y'all are saying. Wasn't there an Eyetalian joint here already with the same name? Yes and no, this new ownership version is called Villaggio Gastro Italian instead of Villagio Italian Kitchen. There were some behind the scenes deal made that the name stays kinda the same... So, hence the two "g"s. Weird, but whatever. They can call it "Yo Mama's Hairy Pits Shack" for all I care, I'm here for the grub. Ok, I admit anything with the word "Gastro" makes me weary these days but at least it doesn't have "Grille" attached to the end. I guess it's time to see if they can deliver the goods better than the previous spot.

Polpo. Everyone has octopus on their menu just like calamari. But not all can execute it properly. This specimen was pretty spot on. Tender with a bit of char from the grill is all that I ask for and all that I received. This was a very decent and tasty version.

Eggplant Parmigiana. Classic style. Not bad as an appetizer, nice midsize Italian eggplant, sauce was a bit thin but totally acceptable. The grease factor in the corners were not too overwhelming, totally acceptable.

Meatballs. The balls were tender and decent size, but needed more seasoning since they were a bit on the flat side. They were sitting in a bit too much liquid/sauce...

Holy shit, the pool of grease was a bit shocking... Unless this was a meatball confit. There is pretty much no excuse for putting this much grease into the final plating of this dish. Always check your dishes when it comes through the pass, pal.

Pappardelle Bolognese. Nice ribbons of pasta, good amount of meat blend of veal and pork but the sauce needed a bit more herbs and seasoning. Well constructed dish and totally acceptable.

Margherita. A bit unexpected visually, not the Marg 'Za I hoped for... But the crust was pretty decent, the sauce was blanketed by the shredded mozza instead of bufala. Not bad for a regular plain 'Za pie but a traditional Margherita tis not. I would skip this and try one of the other pies instead.

Tiramisu. I don't do desserts, they are all just ass and thigh filler to me. Took one bite just to sample this specimen and it was pretty good. Soft mascarpone and flavorful with the expected coffee and cocoa notes.

First impressions were pretty good overall except they need to work on the grease factor before sending it out. I don't want to make a big fuss about it but others definitely will... The amount of grease was almost obscene in the meatballs. It's a pretty straight forward Italian menu with the classic hits, just needs to work on the execution a bit more as they get their routine down. It's Eyetalian grub not plastic surgery... Get a carbonara on there and nail it and I'll be back pronto. I think it will do pretty well in this area since it's a little more upscale than many of the other places around here. The prices are good and so is the staff.

1355 Clairmont Rd, Decatur, GA 30033
404-235-0620
http://www.villaggiogastro.com


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I know this is off subject , however I have been wanting to tell you that the wings at a place called the Moon Shadow are great. You seem to be around Tucker so I thought maybe you could try them. It is on Lawrenceville. hwy near Fellowship. Same plaza as Billy Bobs. The lemon pepper are natural and fantastic
Let us know if you try them. Thanks for the entertainment and food thoughts.

Villaggio Gastro Italian said...

I really like your blog, we have fixed the grease problem and we have a carbonara for brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Looking forward to have you back in our restaurant.

Villaggio Gastro Italian said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.