Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Bloated Pouch

The Pouch spent more money boozing this weekend than on solid chow... But that's not to say it didn't eat it's share, just not the usually amount like an elephant. Still bloated at the time of this writing.

The Barn Smokehouse.
I have driven passed this joint many times and never thought about stopping by because the parking lot is always empty and they look closed most of the time. So, finally pulled in to see what the fuss was about. Sliced brisket, pulled pork, brunswick stew, collards and cornbread. We'll get to the meat later but first the sides... Collards were pretty standard but they weren't braised/cooked down with any bones/hocks/trimmings, so it wasn't as flavorful as it could be. The brunswick stew was nice, not the best but very nice. Not overly sweet and cloying like most places and they have a good amount of meat/veggies/fillers ratio. I liked the stew a lot. The cornbread is standard issued cornbread. But the whiskey ginger I just made makes up for it.

Brisket and Pulled Pork. Look at that rub/bark on this manmeat... Thank goodness the SCOTUS made it legal for anyone to get married because I want to take this beast on a honeymoon and commit at least half a dozen of unspeakable acts to it. Did I say that out loud? I must still be drunk. It had really nice flavor and smoke. The meat was ultra tender and just a small amount of fat that haven't totally rendered out which was perfect. I have been missing out after all this time. This was a really nice classic brisket. The pulled pork was no slouch either... Real nice rub/caramelized skin, tender meat. Just a really nice pulled pork. What the fuck is going on here? Two for two... Someone kick me in the balls, I may be sleep-drinking. I will be back to try their ribs, even if they suck, there's always the brisket to fall back on... And there's also that flask filled with Whistle Pig in my back pocket.


Book House Pub.
Chef Liu's Dumplings. WTF... Is this a joke? C'mon, stop fucking with my emotions. How can these be good served anywhere else besides at Chef Liu's. Let's be stupid and order it. I gotta be real stupid to pay $7 for 5 dumps. Let's see how dumb I can become after eating them... And these shots of Larceny.

Flipped them over to only see the injustice done to these poor dumps. Barely browned and crispy. Wait, they weren't crispy bottoms at all, just sweaty like my swamp ass after riding all day. I don't know why they would even try to attempt to cook these but these pan fried dumps is obviously reserved only for Asian cooks to execute. These were awful. Maybe the first thing I have ever had here that was this shitty. Leave Asian food to the Asians. Bless their hearts for trying... And their dericious whiskey.


Pijiu Belly.
Don't call it a comeback, this chicken's been here for years... Well, it seems like it's been sitting under the heat lamp for years. So, I came back to see if anything has gotten any better since the first dismay display of their rotisserie cheekan. Sadly to say, nothing has changed for the better. The chicken while crispy on the outside this time, but the inside was dry and bland. The brussels sprouts were pretty good though except for that white jizz on top. It could be either Alabama white sauce, Donkey sauce or Comeback sauce... Or neither because I ain't coming back here ever again... After this borderline old fashioned.

"Famous"... Maybe in Bizarro World. I give up trying to give bad poultry second chances... Nothing to come back here for. Nada. Going across the street for an oyster shooter.


Popeyes.
Smoky Garlic Chile Chicken. Another one of Pops monthly concoctions... The ultra crispy tender always delivers but the smoky garlic chile really didn't translate into the flavor of the chicken. It's pretty muted but you taste the garlic every now and then. Biscuit was great as usual and the red beans and rice a classic. Stick with the bone in spicy fwied cheekan... And a 40, one for the homies.


Roux on Canton.
Oysters. I was in the area for some Harley biker rally and decided to make some noise and scare the timid whities in their suburban bubble. Cocktails and oyster sounded good to me... These were from Virginia somewhere but I know where they're going for their retirement. Git in my belly. These were pretty tasty but they're no Kimball House. Some oysters were really butchered to pieces by the shucker dude in back and thrown on the half melted ice platter haphazardly. But they still went down all the same. Another High West Double Rye, pweez.

Beignets. Cafe Du Monde need not be worried about the competition. Dough was too heavy and a bit chewy. Keep them whiskey coming, you bum.


Victory.
Castro. I go to the Decatur one for twosday bike nights. It's a good crowd and you don't find any Buckhead douche nozzles here on a week day. The new Inman Park one is full of them. The castro is one of my go to sandos here but they're all good in their own rights. Sandos are cheap and filling. One is a great snack, two is an even better snack. Don't forget the coke slushie... Large, pweez.

Sometimes, food is so lackluster and unappealing that all you want to do is drink... I think this is about the right time to go on an extended brown liquid diet... Until, better grub surfaces. Which could be tomorrow...

No comments: