Monday, June 8, 2015

99 Cafe Sushi & Hot Pot

When I hear AYCE sushi, I think of those shitty Chinese buffet places with crappy sushi rolls falling apart and sashimi that looked like a pack of rabid dogs prepared it with their foaming mouths. But this place is a bit different on how they deliver the goods. They actually have sushi chefs preparing and plating every order. It sounds pretty nice but can they really keep up with the volume since it's unlimited?
I was hankering for some snow crab legs and sooshee, so there's no better time to see what all the fuss was about on this new FOB joint up in K-town. It's pretty amazing that this joint is not run by Coreans, instead by Chinos. They are really fobby because the decor is a cross between a dungeon and a tiki hut. The girl host asked if I had reservations, I'm like no but are you on Opentable or something? She was like... What's Opentable? I'm like, an Asian that has never heard of Opentable on the interwebs? But I'm pretty sure she knows what the fuck Yelp is... Since most of them are in here with their stupid selfie sticks. Anyhoo.. This place has AYCE sushi and hot pot for $28.99. I don't know who can actually eat that much with both options but I was only interested in the crab legs and sushi for $25.99 on this visit. The hot pot solo is $22.99 which is kinda a ripoff compared to all the other AYCE hot pot joints around town for under $20. If I really starved the pouch for a whole day, it may be able to do the combo... But let's see what they can do first.

Snow Crab Legs. These came out quickly and steamed pretty damn nicely. The flesh were really good, I couldn't believe it. I tore through this like Hulk Hogan's tanktop. This was worth the price of admission. Had to order more...

Make your own sauces at the sauce station and the center one was called "Yummy Sauce"... True story.

Sushi and Sashimi assortment. I woulda thought the quality would be just ok but this really surprised me... It's better than average but make no mistake this ain't Umi or MF. I rip this plate a new asshole within a few minzies. They did miss a few pieces on this order but they didn't hurt my feelings since they were pumping out plate after plate like machines. You could always order more on the next round... Had to order more...

Spicy Tuna Tartare. This place is plating stuff like this? All cute and shit... This was not bad either. Had to order more...

Yellowtail Jalapeno. It ain't Nobu but this was totally acceptable and tasty. How is this possible? Had to order more...

Black Pepper Tuna Tataki. Ok, not really seared off but you know what, I ate the fuck outta this. I was basically pouring this dish down my throat like a cheap slut. Had to order more...

Tako Su. Octopus with vinegar sauce.. But I couldn't tell the difference if it was vinegar or ponzu since I inhaled this with 3 seconds. Had to order more...

Spider Roll and Spicy Tuna. For what it was this was quite surprising even to the pouch. The girls at the table ordered some other bullshit whitie rolls with cream fucking cheese in it... Oh, well, I ain't eating it so no pics. Believe me, you don't want to see them. Had to order more...

Kumamoto Oysters. When I saw this on the menu, I said to myself, no fucking way these are kumamotos... One look and y'all know the answer, way too big for real kumamotos. Not to say that these weren't good, they were pretty fresh and plump. I slurped the entire dozen within 65 seconds like a human trash compactor. Keep your kids away from the pouch. But I had to order more... 

For shits and giggles, I was gonna order either the "Sex on the Beach" roll or the "99 Cafe" roll, just because... But I opted for more crab legs... These fuckers were real nice, real meaty and salty. These crab legs are making thirsty! After the 5th or 6th cluster, the sodium was taking effect... You know they planned this all out. The more crab legs you eat, the more water you will drink to fill up your pouch space. Well played but it had no effect on the volume of the pouch square footage. Had to order more...

These crab legs are making me thirsty!

At first, I thought this was gonna be low rent as fuck... But I don't know why I'm so excited about this place... Could it be the very decent sushi and very tasty crab legs or the endless parade of slutty Asian hookers up in this piece. Rail thin skinny chippies with over the top boob jobs, but boy, can they eat! They must be training for something, squirt... Speaking of which, I need to train before my next visit. A light continental breakfast, stretchy pants, sports drink with electrolytes and Rolaids. Oh, remember there is a time limit (about 2 hours), so training is highly recommended before stepping into this lair of gluttony. I don't know how they make money with unlimited crab legs and soosh. And I really don't care, as long I can order more...

Burp.

PS- I did notice they had a perfect 100-A health score (for now), that's almost unheard of for an ethnic resto... But I'll take it and another order of crab legs, pweez.

2330 Pleasant Hill Rd.
Duluth, GA 30096
678-473-9399

1 comment:

Pinky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.