Tuesday, June 2, 2015

MF Sushi

Unless you have been living under a rock or a flappy pannus like me... MF Sushi is back in da ATL. The once extravagant and over the top sushi joint in Buckhead (and midtown) that relocated to Houston has quietly reopened in Inman Park. This time they're doing it right without all the glitz, glamour and outrageous price point... Not that it wasn't worth it at times but no one would go there on a weekly basis paying that amount of change.
So, they have downsized to a more intimate and manageable space and the price point is more approachable but that's not to say it's cheap, either. But for their pedigree and history of quality, this was spot on. I love the length of the sushi bar and it can fit even the fattest of humans like me. The booze bar when they get their license (soon) will be a great hangout/lounge space. Even with the smaller space, they didn't cut any corners on the design of the place. It's a very stylish place even for the new Inman Park... But don't dare think the millennial and frat boy crowd won't come in with shorts and mandles. They were there, they're everywhere like roaches... Eating their beloved rolls.
Alright, enough talk, more cowbells and sushi. I wanted to do the omakase and the chef said they could it do it but the selection will be limited and not as good... "Come back on a Tuesday or Thursday." That's what I like to hear from a chef. Someone who looks after the customers. I know a few places that would charge you the full price and give you shitty pieces then expect you to kiss their ass like they're doing you a favor. I will definitely be back to do the omakase when they are at 100% inventory. But let's check out a sample or 14 of what's to come...

Tuna Tataki. Ponzu, scallion, pan fried garlic, hot sriracha. This is so cute! That's what chicks would say... I say just put it in your mouth like you usually do every night, it's about the same texture, mmm... fleshy. I don't usually fall for this dish because I'm more traditional when it comes to sushi but this was very nice. The fried garlic on top gave it another pump to the dish. I squirted.

Ankimo. Cucumber, caviar, ponzu. I lurv monkfish liver. If it's on the menu, I'm getting it. This version was real nice and velvety. The caviar gives it a small hint of saltiness to balance out the silky liver.

Baked Mussels. Japanese mayo, eel sauce, masago and scallion. I don't usually get mussels at any restos because they are so easy and inexpensive to make at home but Alex said I needed to try this, so, why not... Looks like a mess but when you suck it down, it's a mix of different levels of flavor. It's a tasty starter to get the palate going but I would save the pouch space next time for something else. Gaijins are falling over themselves for this, though...

Sake Kama. I always get hamachi kama, time to switch it up a bit. This was a very nice showing. A ton of flesh and fat melted in your mouth. The skin charred nicely and don't forget to eat the fins.

Soft Shell Crab Roll. I am a sucka for this every time...A SUCKA, I said. I'm not really into rolls, most are usually pretty lame but the spider roll always Jedi mind tricks my fat ass into getting it. This was pretty good, not the best I have had but it will do... For this one time. I really don't need any more rolls in my pouch, it jiggles enough already.

Kani, Medai Signature, Hamachi Signature. I had to ask if it was real crab meat because the price point seemed off to me, hey, I'm always skeptical but as you can see it's real crab and it was dericious.. The medai and hamachi were pretty damn tasty as well.

Maguro, Hirame. The tuna was gorgeous and the flounder was melt in your mouth. I shoulda ordered another round of the flounder but... I went for the tuna sashimi instead.

Maguro Sashimi. Look at the color of this tuna. Sick. Perfect meaty pieces of tuna went into the pouch within a blink of an eye. So G U U D.

Sake Signature, Tako. Caviar and truffle on the salmon means only one thing... Some entitled fat ass is living the life. That is until I see the check. The salmon knife work was a perfect blend of fat and flesh. Dang tasty. I love octopus, so it had to go into the pouch as well. Tender and fresh.

Yuzu Chocolate Mousse with Pina Colada Sauce... and Macaron. I don't know exactly what this was and neither did sushi chef Masa but it was tasty even for me. I ate like 3 bites of it instead of my usual single bite and had enough routine. The texture of the mousse was almost like a pate similar to the ankimo but man, this was pretty nice.

Without even doing the omakase, this first look and sampling of the tidbits around the menu proved positive. These motherfuckers are back with a mission and if they keep doing what they're doing and keep the price reasonably affordable without breaking your bank or your woman's back, they will have a very respectable sushi joint that might quickly become one of the best in town again. I really hope so because I'm totally digging it for now.

Stay tuned for the results of the Omakase next.


299 N Highland Ave
Ste K

Atlanta, GA 30307
678-575-7890  
http://mfsushiusa.com/



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you dine on a regular night, or media preview night?

Gastronome said...

the pouch never attends freebie media PR bullshit nights for any resto... those are for suckaz. always pay for my meals, no conflict of interest and easier to shit on them if the food is garbage. c'mon, my one reader already knows this!

Pinky said...

That ankimo flooded my basement.

Unknown said...

I'll be back on the June 18th. Let's do the omakase then!