Sunday, March 18, 2012

East Pearl Seafood Restaurant

The last nail in the coffin for dim sum in Atlanta has been struck... If I read another Goddamn glowing review of how great dim sum is in this town, I will go on a Popeyes binge for a week. Wait a minute, that doesn't sound too bad at all. But anyways, dim sum is DEAD in this town. Period. Golden House was an absolute disappointment (x3), in other words it sucked donkey balls (x3). Yes, you can find edible "dim sum" here but I dare anyone of real Chinese descent say this is good shit. I fucking dare you, I'll even pay for this real dim sum meal. Comparing good dim sum to some joint in San Fran is like comparing good Southern BBQ in Alaska. Stop it. Makes my head and pouch hurt.

Ok, East Pearl was my last hope of finding consistent dim sum in this town. I used to come here on a regular basis and it was pretty good back in the day but it fell off my radar like so many other places when they started their downward spiral. Running on previous rave reviews does you no good today. But every gwai lo can't get enough of this stuff, so, I had to make sure before writing this off completely.


Ngau yuk kau aka steamed meatballs were bland and not minced enough before shaping and steaming.
Lo mai gai aka sticky rice was decent but the filling was either burnt or filled with sand, crunch crunch was the sound after each bite.
Congee had no flavor, couldn't tell if it was oatmeal except for the bits of 1000 yr old egg, the "cruellers" were stale.
Shumai skin were melted off from being resteamed multiple times with the dead give away of rubbery mincemeat.
Cheung fun was made to order but the rice noodle was too thick, under cooked and the filling of beef was tasteless, had to drown it in the sweeten soy to get a speck of flavor out of it.


Lo bak gou aka turnip cake were cold and soggy even though they were take right of the flat top grill cart thinger. The Oriental girl working this cart knew no Chinese and I don't think she knew she was Chinese either.


Ngau bak jip aka steamed beef tripe was ok, it was tender but not much flavor there, no spiciness, no savory taste to it... Just ginger and radish as filler.


Har gao looked pretty good but the skin, once again, was over cooked and stuck to the sides and paper ripping it apart when you try to pick it up. Good job dillweed.


Wu gok looked ok, tasted very average, it wasn't crispy enough, puffy enough and the filling had crunchy bits in it. Their dim sum cook must be smoking all kinds of fuck up in this piece. Puff puff give... Except this thing.


Cheung fun with shrimp was better than the beef but not by much. Still a little spongy. Stop rushing these things out and steam them properly, I rather wait another couple of minutes than eat a half-assed rice noodle dish.


Daan taat were prolly the best thing on this visit. Un fucking real, an egg custard pastry was the only thing that was made properly... Maybe they didn't make this and got it from the Chinese bakery down the street. Who knows but I'll eat it.

Just took too much effort to eat here. Driving all the way up here for mediocre Chino grub. I was not in there for more than 20 minutes the entire time and I was ready to get the fuck outta Dodge with all these middling dishes. On my way out, I ran into a buddy of mine and whom also owns an Oriental inspired resto intown, I axed him the next day how his dim sum was... His answer, "It was a letdown." Like I said before, find me a real Chinese oriental who thinks this is good grubbery and I will eat my words... Or yum cha here again to prove me wrong. Any takers?

*crickets*

I didn't think so. Next!

No Rating.

1810 Liddell Ln
Duluth, GA 30098
(678) 380-0899

2 comments:

Jason Riedy said...

Don't count Alaska out. I found some great, down-home Cajun food in Anchorage. ;)

Gastronome said...

In Alaska, I lurv me a good thick cut of baby seal filet.. paired with a nice Canadian Club.