Thursday, March 8, 2012

Penang

With all these "foodies" out there looking for the next new scoop and being the first to print it these days... I was thinking the total opposite, it's about time to revisit a few old school joints that has lasted the test of time. Some may still be good and some may suck a stiff cock these days but who knows until I put their junk in my mouth. Just remember to relax your throat...

Penang has been always a pretty decent place to grab a bite, but the surprising thing is that their Malaysian grub wasn't always their star dishes, the Chino dishes were often times so much better. But I'm sticking to the basics of what they do...


(Roti Canai)

Ah, the classic of the classics. Everybody orders this thing. Why? Because it's good. The chicken/potato curry dip shit could be a little spicier, richer and thicker but it's acceptale. They make like 8,000 of these things per day.


(Roti Telur)

Same shit as the canai but filled with scrambled eggs instead. It was pretty good but took like 4 and a half years to come out. Waited and waited, saw 3 tables come in, ate, paid and left before this thing came to the table. Could be a passive aggressive sign that I'm a fat fuck. I don't know, I don't speak Spanish, so couldn't understand them.


(Shrimp Puff)

Look at this friggin pic... It's as appetizing as it appear. Actually, it looked better before they fished it out of the trash can. Nice concept but execution sucked ass. Dried out, hard and tasted like old oil. They even knew this was a loser of a dish, they only used like 5 strands of shredded lettuce pubes. Not a speck of effort to even try to make it look pretty. They just gave up and so did my pouch.


(Pandan Ayam)

Redeemed themselves they did with this glorious display of fried cheekan wangs tied up like a two bit whore in pandan leaves. This shit was guuuuud. Crispy and juicy. Loved it that they cooked it with whole wings... It's not lazy, it's the right way to fry a wing.


(Penang Char Kway Teow)

Kinda like beef chowfun (their BCF is actually pretty good) and kinda not like it at all. It's prepared similar but with thinner rice noodles, eggs and skrimps. It was pretty decent. But won't get it again, unless, I'm really fucking wasted off my ass.


(Mee Goreng)

It was so fucking sweet. Edible, yes. Pleasing to the palate, not really. I would even steer the white devils away from this lame dish. This recipe needs a total revamp.


(Sarang Burong)

Their infamous fried taro birds nest thinger with chicken, shrimp, squid all up inside this piece. It's ghetto as hell, I know, but I liked it. The fraudie baby corn and stylishly trimmed carrot slices are so 1970's Chino grub filler. Gotta love it. I ate that entire thing. WTF is wrong with me?

This old mainstay still satisfies when you need it and hopefully remain reliable for years to come.

1.5 Stars.

4897 Buford Highway
Suite 113
Chamblee, GA 30341
770-220-0308

No comments: