Monday, March 12, 2012

Burger Tap

What could possibly take over the spot that once caged the furious nuclear green holy guacamole known as Caramba Cafe? A burger joint of course! This is Atlanta after all. The state that produced such healthy icons such as Paula Deen. Just don't make her say the "N" word... Nutrition. Ok, enuff of that malarkey, so, what's this Burger Tap all about?

Their motto is... "Fresh and never frozen 100% beef (no fillers, additives, or preservatives) from a custom blend of brisket, chuck and short rib." ...I lurv me some man meat but who's Chuck and why do I want to eat him? Their gimmick here is, of course, the rectangular patties and buns. I like it that you can cook your patty to temp, medium rare, as always. So, that's a plus. And the buns are pretty good I must admit, with it being buttered and grilled also helps a bit with flavor. It reminded me of those Hawaiian buns.


Fancy. The ladies will be impressed... But the heffers could care less. The entire space is actually kinda cold feeling with all the metal tables and what not. Now, it's giving me the creeps like a scene in SAW XXI.

So, they have 2 combos to choose from (besides a la carte). A burger, fries and a soft drink or a beer for a little more, but both are under $10. They got their price point right at least. The fries, not so much (see below).


Truffle - Gruyere cheese, crispy onions, garlic mayor, truffle glaze. They stopped doing the handcut chips now, so I had to settle with this stick tater format. It was lame. The burger on the other hand was cooked spot on to med-rare but the flavors from the other ingredients blanketed the taste of the beef patty. Truffled this and truffled that is pretty much played out but I had to do it even knowing what to expect. But the buns were good! That squirt of mayo is kinda giving me the heebeegeebees right about now... Don't ask. Wonder how many pumps that was.


Asian- Grilled scallions, sesame slaw, Asian glaze. Yeah. Not so much. But the patty was cooked to temp and the buns were good! Next.


Southwestern - Jack cheese, fried jalapeno, Chipotle BBQ sauce. Why do they keep setting themselves up for the dirty jokes? Speaking of Jack cheese... Nevermind. The large fried jalapenos are cute but they do nothing for this, there is just no added value. Except for the illusion of size. "Act, as if... You had a 9 inch cock." ~ Boiler Room.


Gaucho - Jack cheese, grilled tomato, crispy onions, chimicurri mayo. You know what, let's just get to the good stuff first... The fried zucchini were pretty good, a better choice than those shit stick fries, I know I know, I shoulda got the Corean sweet tater fries instead. How was the burger you ask? Let's just say Gaucho and Jack went to town on each other and left me a little surprise on top of the burger. Oh, did I mention how tasty the buns were?

I had a Ommegang Three Philosophers which was good, I don't know if this was the right beer to get with 4 burgers and 2 sides. Also, tasted the sweet tea... Fuck that shit. Like drinking corn syrup right outta the Karo bottle.

A lot of gimmicks and a little flavor. Wish them the best of luck but in the game of burgers, you better have an incredible product that will set you apart from the dozens and dozens of other meat flap playas out there or quietly drown in your own grease trap as so many others have.

1 Star.

1409 N. Highland Ave.
Ste D
Atlanta, GA 30306
404-249-7191
http://www.burgertap.com/

1 comment:

Jason Riedy said...

Could be good. Could be bad. No gluten-free options means no visit. I'm not going thattaway for a freakin' burger by myself. Actually, we never go places for a burger. It's onion rings that are a pain in the ass to make at home.