Thursday, March 8, 2012

Hong Kong Harbor

HKH has been around for a long time and time has forgotten about them... But not me. So, I have been on a quest to revisit old school Asian joints that have fallen off the media/blogger-sphere radar because it isn't new and shiny anymore... Come to think of it, I don't think it was ever shiny and new. That building isn't even fit for a soup kitchen with rats cooking the family meal. But I still like their grub. It's probably the only place intown you can find some decent authentic dishes. And the word "authentic" is stretching it a bit... But beggars can't be choosers and I ain't going to Chico and Chang. Popeyes is just a block away... Oh, wait, this is about Chinese food. Nevermind.

Let's go down memory lane for a couple of classic dishes that this city have forgotten.


(Beef Chowfun)

My test dish for oh so many Cantonese Chino restos. Do they still have what it takes to make a proper version? I say it's still acceptable when you need a quick fix and don't want to drive to Bufo Hwy. Broad rice noodles, thin beef slices and the proper balance of the sauce/seasoning coating every noodles, front and back. I remember coming here a lot after getting really fucked up and this tasted like heaven back in the days but then I woke up the next morning.


(Squid with Sour Mustard)

Been on a sour mustard kick lately, looking for it on every menu and if it wasn't on it, would ask if they could do it off the menu. Most places will have it on hand but don't ask for this at PF Chang's... But you can try at Panda Express, though. The sour mustard can be paired up with almost anything and taste good... Here we got the squid with black bean and it's a nice combo. But I still prefer it with pork belly or intestines.


(Beef Nom Hot Pot)

It ain't pretty but this casserole dish woulda been kickass if the waiter didn't leave it on the friggin burner for 30 minutes while he ate his family dinner with the rest of the crew. I had to wave him down to ask for it but by then it was little too late. It was so friggin hot that it cracked the plate he put it on, that shit split right in half, clean off. The dish wasn't a complete failure because the bottom was lined with Shanghai Bok Choy, that shit burned a lil but the smoke had already infiltrated a bit of the beef belly and tendons. It was edible but like I said before, it coulda be really dericious if he took it off about 10 minutes earlier. He did say the next "crap in a bowl" was on the house, fucker better remember because I don't forget. Bitch.

This dumpy Chino spot on Cheshire still has the most "traditional" (whisper) Cantonese intown, even though a lot of it is hit or miss... And the dim sum is forgettable except for a couple items. Stick with the simple Chinese dishes and steer clear of the American crap and you'll be alright. But that damn salt and pepper squid gets me every time and I had to muster up all my pouch strength to resist it.

1.5 Stars.

2184 Cheshire Bridge Rd
Atlanta, GA 30324
404-325-7630

No comments: