Monday, January 23, 2017

Best BBQ Dim Sum

I was pretty happy when the new Asian Supermarket announced that it will open up in the old 99 Ranch space a few months ago... The location has been an empty curse for a long time with all the new competition around. The food court was small but there were no lack of small biz owners willing to open up shop there and taking the risk of an unproven market. I was super stoked when I saw that Best BBQ was opening a smaller second location there. I didn't want to drive all the way up to bumblefuck Duluth to get me some prized BBQ manmeats and the best dim sum in the "surrounding metro area". Then the shit fell apart, Best BBQ got an awful health inspection, discontinued all dim sum ops and the once great champion was now a study moppishness. But I still went and tried their second location a few times even with no dim sum, there were lots of hits and misses on the regular menu and the prices have all increased for a tiny food stall in the corner... Which was kinda insulting. Shit, the Chinatown food court still kicks serious ass with the tasty vittles found at the must go food stalls and they're still charging the same damn cheap ass prices.
And then one day the Asian Supermarket announced that they were closing down only a few months after the opened due to no business, seriously, the market was lacking big time and the prices weren't that competitive. They had a big store closing sale and the place emptied out, but the food stalls were still open... Not that there was really anything that good to go back there for. And like the phoenix rising from the ashes, the Asian Supermarket reopened under new management... I ain't gonna lie, (shit, when have I ever lied to my one reader) but it was exactly the same damn market for fuck sake. Same name, same shit in every aisle, same uncovered freezer burned fish balls in the bulk item freezers, same overpriced items, even the same damn cashier... I'm like, dude, why the fuck are you setting yourself up for the exact same failure as the last? But who gives a shit about the market, it's pretty much the same junk, go 100 yards down to the City Farmers Market, instead for your grocery shopping... Jesus, I'm just fucking going on and on about this useless dump. Let's get back to the task at hand... The DIM SUM.
So, one day on my way to picking up the best dan tats (egg tarts) in the city at Master Bakery, I stopped in to check out the new v2.0 Asian Supermarket... It looked the exact same as I said before, but... BUT... I spied a sign all the way in the back that said... Ready, motherfuckers? It said... "THE BEST DIM SUM IS BACK". I'm like shut the fuck up, yo... To myself, obviously. No joke, I fucking did the Hollywood Shuffle quick time to the back and see what the fuss was about. Best BBQ's mini location is doing dim sum, again! While the still made to order selections were limited (with just the greatest hits), I was still super happy that they were doing it at all... All I could think about was their ginormous har gaos that bested most dim sum joints even in Hong Kong. Ok, enough talk already, just get to the good stuff, you fat fuck... So, I only sampled a few items before I got too crazy and out of hand and to end up with just average dimz... But I still ordered more than I needed like a proper fat fuck should. Yes, y'all, live vicariously and voraciously through da pouch... I definitely won't disappoint in that department.

Wu Gok. So, this was the first thing that came out... I'm like it usually takes a bit of time to get this item out correctly executed... But one look said it all. Holy fuck. Look at the threading on this... It was perfectly manscaped, an amazing exhibit of a dim sum sexual. But looks can be deceiving... We need to open this specimen up. Let's operate with my facehole.

One bite... That's all it took for me to fall in love and laugh it up with this fuzz ball. Delicately fried crispy threads of taro and flour, smooth velvety taro and loaded with savory pork and scallions inside it's lair. The bottom of this wu gok had zero grease stain... It was close to perfection. Un-fucking-believable. This was an amazing start. Don't die on me, now!

Taste Test Sampler...  The har gaos were not as plump as they used to be but the translucent skin was spot on and the shrimp inside were steamed perfectly, they weren't mushy or gummy, just right. The shrimp cheung fun rice noodles were firm but yet pliable, they held everything together with ease and the chew was spot on. The only thing I didn't like was that they only used 2 shrimp instead of the standard 3, but not a deal breaker since it was steamed so nicely. The tripe was really good, big meaty tender pieces better than the limp stringy ones you find at other dimz dumps, great sauce but could used a lot more jalapeno since there was basically none in there. The shumai pork dumps were pretty respectable as well, not outstanding but craveworthy enough to get again on other visits.

Chives Shrimp Dumplings, Xiao Long Baos. The chives dumps were steamed and then lightly pan fried which were very chivy inside with some shrimp bits. The skin wrapper could be a little tighter, prolly sat in the steamer a tad bit longer than it should but it's something that 99% of the people wouldn't never notice, just me because I'm a dim sum drama queen. The soup dumps looked very plump and juicy, the skin was bit thicker but there were a decent amount of soup inside, a good showing but not the best for soup dumps. After inhaling every nugget of dimz... I was stuffed and announced that I will not over eat, I have to watch my girlish figure for 2017... Then this came out...

WTF... Demon Pig!!! I love it that they put cherries in his eyeholes and those frilly red paper on his ears... How embarrassing, we need to stop bullying finished meat products. Jesus, this oinker was a thing of beauty. The skin looked amazing, I could only imagine how crackling good it must be. Sadly, this was a customer's order... Yes, they do whole suckling pigs like this for $188... Which is a steal and a lucky number. I was so stuffed and sleepy from the dimz that I wanted to turn this piglet on it's side and crawl into his pouch cavity like a Tauntaun... Because I was in no condition to drive in a food coma... Leia, hear me, Leia... Come get me, I've fallen and I can't get up. Jesus, now I know how the Gamorrean guard feels when he fell into the Rancor's lair.

Their sign says it all... "THE BEST DIM SUM IS BACK, BABY!"...Ok, I added that last part. They must have read the cheekan lipz' review about their dimz from back in the day. After a few visits to the other dim sum joints recently, I had almost lost all confidence in finding good dim sum in this town but then this little angel came down from heaven to touch the pouch's heart, again. I know I have let the cat out of the bag on this little gem (again) and I'm gonna pay for it with longer lines but without customers they ain't gonna keep making the best dim sum in this one horse town. Just be selective on the items for now, they're still working to perfect others, but goddamn, for the time being I'm happy as an embarrassed roasted pig in an aluminum lined cardboard box.

5150 Buford Hwy NE
B-199
Doraville, GA 30340

3 comments:

chefhelen said...

That is one pretty pig!

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Just went for Chinese New Year's today and it is still the best this town has. Get to get the chicken feet and ham shui gok too next time both were piping hot. Never had chicken feet that burn you steaming hot and melt in your mouth.

Anonymous said...

Just went to Best BBQ today and it is still the best Dim Sum in town. Still cooked to order. While you're revisiting previous places don't forget this one.