Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Billy Jack's BBQ And Shrimp Co.

This space is truly cursed... I lost count on how many restaurants have come and gone. Now, enters a badly needed BBQ joint intown but is it worth it? On first impressions, not really... But let's judge them on their product.

Seeing the giant steel box when you walk in is kinda weird... It's not exactly the best spot to put it because you expect to smell the smoking meats but none were smelt, I don't think it was even on. It's a standard Southern Pride, a smoker that is used mostly throughout Georgia's modern Que shops. The menu is pretty straight forward with the generic BBQ staples and a couple surprises like a Po'boy, fried shrimp and an apple and pork salad. The owner is soft spoken and easy to talk to... Just a sweetheart of a guy. The prices were spot on but portion control and quality were my main concerns. So, I ordered a bunch of shit like the usual fat slob that I am.

(Southern Pride smoker, not too shabby)

Beef Rib - Look at that shit! It was straight from the Flintstone's, it was ginormous. It was decent but woulda been a helluva lot better if it had been smoked lower and slower. It was kinda chewy and had a lot of gristle around the edges. Seemed rushed but still pretty impressive. Who said size doesn't matter? My dog liked the bone in his mouth... Still hungover from Pride, I guess.

Brisket Plate w/ Beans and Mac & Cheez - Texas, we have a problem... Brisket was hacked up and dry, almost beef jerky dry. Obviously, there's no smoke ring or bark to appreciate. Had to drown it in sauce which was unmemorable. The beans tasted canned and the mac was awfully dry. The cheez has left the building. For $9, I suspected as much.

Brunswick Stew - Looks ok, right? Tasted pretty much like at most mediocre Q joints. Nothing fancy, nothing amazing, it was what it was... Plus, not enough Lima beans. Why is it so hard for BBQ joints to make a decent Stew? Fox Bros can do it, what's the problem here, people?

BBQ Shrimp Po'Boy - BBQ sauce on the side, please! I hate soggy fried shrimp... But not even super crispy skrimps can save this boy. I mean, just look at that unfortunate specimen. Wilty iceberg lettuce, torn up roll and a few scrappy sea cockroaches. It was more like a Ho'Bo sammie. Pass.

Other sides that I sampled were the green beans and cole slaw, both acceptable but nothing crave worthy. The green beans were made to order and sauteed... You heard that right, sauteed, as if I was at a Fwanch restowant serving haricot vert. Slaw was not the creamy and sweet kind, more like the wet and damp kind.

They threw in some banana pudding... And I threw it in the rubbish. Why even bother having it on the menu when it shoulda never been on there in the first place. I rather have 10 incredible items than 50 incredibly crappy items, just to fill out the menu. The owner is so nice that you can't be too harsh on them, even though, I was (I'm a firm believer that if you sell something, it better be your best or else you're gonna get smoked)... But I'm willing to give them another shot just because of their attitude, unlike that white trash redneck P. Red's B.B. Que down over yonder in them there parts on Chattahoochee.

I just want to go back to handle another one of their John Holmes beef rib... I like man meat, I'll admit it.

Squeal like a pig, bitches.

2 Stars.

857 Collier Road
Atlanta, GA 30318
404-351-7979

No comments: