Friday, July 15, 2016

Ton Ton Revisit

The oh so important revisit after they have been opened for a few days... And well, the public complaints are in. I have been hearing that the "foodies", ok, the crackers have been crying about the tonkotsu broth being too thick and rich or it's too Asian and ethnic and then sending them back only after a couple of spoonfuls. These foodie fuckbags really shouldn't put this shit on the interwebs because it makes them look like fucking amateurs, it's embarrassing for them to reveal their inept food knowledge to the world... But everyone is a goddamn food critic. I fucking knew this would happen. I called this shit out like the three-pouched raven before it even happened. Who doesn't want a real bowl of collagen rich tonkotsu? Shit, I know I do and I need all the fatty goodness I can get because winter is coming... But not these fools. This is the type of shit restaurant owners face when dealing with the masses who pretend that they are food experts but can't deal when they are served with the real deal Ton Ton meal. The first bowl I had during the preview was amazing, it was so fucking good I could still taste it a day later. My lips were all sticky like a pro after the money shot... And I didn't even get paid for it. Now, it's time to see if the operations have remained true and consistent or made big adjustments due to the tourists in the short time since they opened to the masses.

Hakata Tonkotsu Classic, pork belly, soft boiled egg, menma, wood ear mushrooms, butter garlic corn, scallions, sesame seeds. I could see it already in the color of the broth... The sheeple's complaints have made them dilute this down. Hakata, we've got a problem... The broth still retained it's milky creamy hue but the fattiness and collagen was cut in half. No more sticky lips, no more collagen for strong bones and healthy skin, no more teachers dirty looks... Collagen's out for the summer. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very respectable bowl of tonkotsu... Just less richness and less toppings. I had like 2-3 nice thick pieces of ultra tender pork belly before, now it's reduced to 1 piece which was still ultra tender. The corn, menma, et al were also less... It's all very chintzy but the silver lining in this bowl was the Sun Noodles, they were cooked spot on this time with that nice toothiness and chew to it. For $13, it's still a good price for a very decent bowl of tonkotsu for the curious pedestrians... But I'm not in mad love with it anymore... You know it used to be mad love, so take a look what you've done, 'cause, baby, now we got diluted broth. Thanks for nothing, you motherfucking tourists... I barely remembered this bowl the next day.

Yasai, stir fry veggies, spinach, soft boiled egg, scallions, sesame seeds. I guess this bowl is for the vegheads... Except for the egg. Can these herbivore creastures even eat eggs? I really don't care, I just care if my pouch will like it without meat essence. The broth is lighter obviously but it also had decent flavor... The contents were acceptable but overall, this is kinda like the bowl you would make at home with leftovers in the fridge. I would not pay $12 for this bowl, spend the extra dolla on the tonkotsu, at least you'll kinda holla after eating it.

Tebasaki Wings. The first time it had some sauce on the bottom, this time it's just the wings. They are tasty wings but four for $7 is kinda a rip... But they got the sky high rent to pay, so, I understand for the premium. I would just skip all the small bites and just stick with the tonkotsu ramen because that's what you're really here for.

Gyoza. They are not pan fried. I said, they are not pan fried. That's all I have to say. Skip it and stick with the tonk.

The first look was impressive with the collagen rich tonkotsu which made me happy but this revisit a week or so later didn't give me that much of a blood flow. Don't get me wrong, it's still very good for being right in the center of the city. But diluting it down so early into the inning was a clear sign that they caved in to the demands of pikers with very little food knowledge and didn't want to scare off any future customers from spending money here... Dude, I get it. The rent and percentage here is ridiculous, so every customer and every penny counts. You have to appease the masses in this environment... Look at Jia and everything else in here, it's all dumb down for the tourists. Maybe it's time to have two options for the tonkotsu- authentic and the novice. Just like Hajime's ramen bowls can be made extra rich for a dollar. I know Ton Ton will still kill it here inside the PCM, the pedestrians will eat this shit up and I will be by from time to time to check on their progress.

675 Ponce de Leon Ave NE
Atlanta, Georgia 30308

No comments: