Friday, July 15, 2016

Jinya Ramen Bar

Somehow this ramen trend has been bumped back up again recently and everybody and their mothers are all about sucking on the big noodle right now... There has been a spurt of new ramen joints opening up around town that's fueling this conspiracy. This popular L.A. ramen joint has been busy marking their territory all over the place and just recently opened for business in Sandy Springs... And they are packing it in hard. The wait time on a recent weekend night was over an hour long with many choosing to eat hot ramen outside in the Georgia heat. Are you fucking shittin' me... I guess that's a good sign that the word is out about them. The bad part is that every gaijin is rushing over there on the same night that the pouch was making a discreet visit. When did whitie obsessed about a bowl of noodles as much as the pouch does? There's no fucking way anyone obsesses about food more than this fat fuck does... No one, ya hear! Finally, got a seat at the window bar staring straight at the table right outside... That's not uncomfortable at all for the two fat gaijins while I watch them slurp up their goodies like the pigs that they are. Luckily, they grew tired of me licking the window and left a few minzies later. Now, that I can concentrate on the feed in front of my snout without any further distractions, let's take a closer look at their slurpy slop...

Jinya Bun. I got suckered into this ubiquitous item, again... Pork belly buns are everywhere, they're even on southern restos' menus. David goddamn Chang, ruined our culture's secrets and shared our delicacy with the masses for profit, bastard. This bun was so plain and simple but the pork belly was ultra tender and a bit fatty. It's an ok version but I wouldn't get it again.

Brussels Sprouts Tempura. Will this damn brussels sprouts fad ever end... Ok, it should after I eat this tempura battered version. It's pretty tasty but really nothing special. It's a pretty small portion given the price... Maybe 5 whole brussels sprouts cut in half.

Tokyo Tonkotsu Ramen, thin noodles. This is what you come here for... The tonkotsu. It's not the best looking bowl of ramen I have seen... Hopefully, it will taste better than it looks. First sip of broth, it's not bad, it's not great... There was no instant stickiness from the collagen in the broth. As expected, it was diluted for the taste of the demographics. It's not a bad bowl of tonkotsu ramen... I did like the thin noodles in there. They were toothy and cooked spot on. The charshu was thinly sliced and tender. The soft egg was a nice surprise...It's a totally acceptable bowl of tonkotsu but I wouldn't wait an hour for it, though.

The soft boiled egg was a bit more runny than it should be but I kinda prefer it this way and it mixes up with the broth better.

Spicy Umami Miso Ramen, thick noodles. Had them put the chili oil on the side because I wanted to taste the unadulterated miso broth by itself. It's a bit sweet and even a tad thicker than the tonkotsu. Mix up all the ground pork bits in there and the broth gets even more tasty. The thick noodles really works well with the miso broth. I'm glad I put the chili oil on the side because it was just all oil, red oil. I tasted a little of it and it was pretty boring, I'm glad I didn't contaminated the bowl with it. The ground pork itself had enough spicy oil in it already. It's a pretty decent bowl of ramen but it will be at the end of the list until I have tried all the different bowls in their rotation.

I'm not surprised that this ramen chain has been packed since they opened the doors, they got a good corporate concept, the young staff seemed decently well trained and the kitchen staff has been on point from what I have witnessed during a very busy dinner service. Do I love it? No, but it's totally acceptable. Is it worth the drive all the way to upstate Sandy Springs? Not really, but if y'all are in the hood doing whatever that you're doing, this would be a very decent option for a quick bite.

5975 Roswell Rd B217
Sandy Springs, GA 30328
http://jinya-ramenbar.com/

No comments: