Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Luminary - Revisit

Krog Street Market has been slaying it like a true beast master. Every single whitie from Buckhead and OTP has been making the trek to worship this new culinary altar. This neighborhood market, for a relatively small commercial space overall, are packing in some talent and tasty vittles. I like this place a lot and the offerings inside. Stopped by to see what the fuss was about on the newly opened Superica... Who the fuck am I kidding thinking that there would be no wait for Tex-Mex. Try 3 fucking hours for a taco. What is the mystery behind the love affair with whities and Mexican't grub? It's like the mystery of the universe, no one knows. I said fuck that noise, that review will have to wait... They get to live another day. So, it came down to Craft or Luminary... Cockentrice was ok but it needs some polishing before I make another visit. So, a couple of out of townies that were with me got to pick and the Fronch food was their game... I had good experiences before, so I wasn't sweating it if it was gonna be crappy or not. I was more interested to see what was new on the menu... Let's take a gander.

Snails. This was not on the menu on my previous visit. I lurv these little snots. Anything that marinades within their own self-sustaining containment unit is ok with me, Tiny House Nation unite, bitches. This dish came shell free. Tender and flavorful. Shit was gone in 2 minzies.

Foie Gras. I can't not get this dish when I'm here. That foie is like crack. Those idiots in California love banning things for the children... Good, more for me. A bit over cooked in the center but we couldn't let this go to waste. 

Brussels Sprouts. Yeah, yeah.. We all know the millenials all prefer kale nowadays but I would still stuff these little firm yet gentle balls in my cheeks all day long.

Swordfish "Amandine". Nice chunk of fish, well executed, firm yet flaky, moist and pretty tasty. Wouldn't be my first choice but it turned out pretty good.

Chicken Pot Pie. The Fronch version... And it was surprisingly tasty. It kinda reminded me of a large balut. Once you get inside, you will find some tasty yardbird sans beak, feather and claw.

Crispy Rabbit Leg. I was pumping and squirting when this came out. I was like.. Fwied Cheekan? Even better, a chicken fried rabbit. So crispy, so tender, so damn tasty. The pouch could destroy 8 of these little leggies with ease.

Duck Breast. You can't go to a Fronchie joint without ordering the duck. It's a sizable portion with a good amount of spot on duck breast but I'm gonna nitpick and say that I prefer it to be fanned out a little bit. I like seeing the pink color when it gets put in front of my snout. The duck was tender (perfect chew factor) and skin and fat were rendered not too shabbily. Not the best duck I have ever tasted but I'll live with this version any time in this town.

For a good all around French Brasserie style grub, I would say this would be my first pick. Atlanta will never get a true French resto and I'm ok with that. The vibe, energy, people watching, cocktails and grub all works without trying too hard to be hip or douchy. This feels like neighborhood spot because it is... Enjoy it for what it is. But that damn crispy rabbit.. You had me at hello, you wascally wabbit.

99 Krog St.
Atlanta, GA 30307
404-600-6199
http://www.theluminaryatl.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interestingly, you won't see *that* many whities eating at Don Pedro or San Pancho. The food isn't pricey enough and the strip plazas aren't happening enough.

Haven't made it down to KSM yet. We have kids and can't deal with waiting 30+ minutes for a falafel.

~mindspringyahoo (aka your 2nd reader)

Unknown said...

first reader? thats your best writing yet.