Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Chow Mei Mei

The pouch was doing some recon in the area and had a hankering to fill it's abyss... It was in the mood for some slutty Asian. Since, Bangkok was a long drive's away, it will have to settle for this. This strip mall is like in limbo, it has a handful of restos and shops but the only real winner here is General Muir. The other places aren't really all that, they're mostly half-breed chains with mediocre food and even worse cocktails. The wannabe fancy pants La Tagliatella didn't last long with their very uneventful food and pricier menu.
Maybe it's just the area, the students aren't exactly your target demographics for higher priced dining establishments. But there are places that do cater more towards the students like the burger joint, Indian joint and now this Asian fusion... Rut roh, there's that word again... Fusion. Every time I hear that word it reminds me of Doc just shoveling garbage into the DMC-12 Mr. Fusion... Time to do the same to the pouch. Will it blender or will it barf... I hope I don't have to go back to the future after eating this. I don't even what that means but it can't be good.

Roti Canai. My sides were hurting from laughing when this came out. I'm like that's the fucking frozen scallion pancakes you get at the Asian markets. Don't get me wrong, they are pretty damn good to make at home but in a resto setting, I may be expecting too much from them. The cold curry was like Aunt Jemima syrup but it's just the Vermont curry block packs found in the Asian market as well. I don't know if they put a bottle of Karo in it but it was incredibly sweet and inedible. Nothing like a little HFCS for your IBS. Also, no bone-in chicken bits was present in the curry which is a must. 

Chicken Coconut Soup. It wasn't horrible but this ain't love at first sight. The assumed chili oil Valdez on top didn't exactly say appetizing. Once you get past that oil leak or mix it in as much as possible, the soup is pretty much what you expect... Very Americanized, sweet and not very flavorful. The chicken slices were bright white and tender at least.

Pad Thai with Tofu. I expected worse. This wasn't half bad... Once you ask for limes to mix in. I guess you really can't expect authenticity in a place like this near a college. For what it's worth, this would be a great hangover food.

Panang Curry with Chicken. Asked for Thai hot... C'mon, y'all know the answer to that. Mild level came out... So, I drowned it in Sriracha. It's not Thai, not even close but it was a decent stir fry with orange sauce. Is that jasmine rice... Stop it, wake up you're dreaming again. At least it was cook to order, somewhat.

General Tso's Cheekan. So, I went for round two and got some take out which begs for the General after a night of boozery... Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. Yeah, I know now... But I can't fix stupid. As you can guess, it's your run of the mill mall food court style slop. Over breaded chicken pieces from Panda Express and pretty weak watery but yet sticky bland sauce coating. At least the veggies were kinda fresh.

Pad See Ew. I don't see ew any flavor to this... It's just some veggies, wide rice noodles all stuck together and chicken with a splash of lite fake soy sauce. C'mon, I could do this at home in a mixing bowl. This was pretty sad overall... Not much to say, just look at the pic. Poor fella.

Fusion is a tough business to be in, not all Asian grub is created equal or can be executed by the same cook... I give the mom and pop props for busting their ass back in the really nice and shiny kitchen but the grub isn't all that compelling to warrant a third visit unless someone gets me really fucking tanked... By then I would probably say yes to a horny St. Bernard in giving me a proper Rogering. I mean, you really have to plan to come this area, like the General Muir is a destination.. This place is more of a "oh, look, a Chino joint, let's stop and get something to go because I'm starving and have no time to sit down and eat" kinda place. I hope they make it with the limited traffic in that area because they are pretty nice people but y'all know how that story will end. Come to think of it, maybe a DeLorean time machine isn't such a bad idea...

1540 Avenue Pl.
Atlanta, GA 30329
404-486-8788
http://chowmeimei.com/ 

1 comment:

chefhelen said...

I swear every time I hear the word fusion ( Asian fusion, Mexican fusion, Indian fusion) I run away. Far, far away. Sugar on sugar on sugar. If I wanted candy coated food I would just dump a bag of skittles on the frozen dinners you can get from Trader Joe's. Please stop dumping sugar on food to try and get us to eat it