Friday, May 18, 2012

Fuoco di Napoli

So, after all the drama had died down a little, I went back in discreetly to see what was up with this place. Knowing that Enrico had been 86'd many moons ago, my pouch feeling stated the obvious... Are their pies gonna be as good as it once was? Well, maybe this will answer your question...

"Truly a sight to behold. A man beaten. The once great champ, now, a study in moppishness. No longer the victory hungry stallion we've raced so many times before, but a pathetic, washed up, aged ex-champion."

Moppishness is right. It was down right depressing walking in there. The staff beaten through attrition. The only visible pizza cook (initially, I couldn't tell if he was the cook or the janitor) was only visible for about 5 seconds near the oven. The staff out numbered the customers 10 to1. And the funniest part is that said "pizza cook" was on the phone right in the middle of the dining room talking about how he was moving back to Connecticut this weekend. Another one bites the dust. I wonder how many cooks have rotated through here since the departure of Enrico... I don't think I have enough fingers and toes to count them all (quick, someone get me a 3 toed sloth). I mean the entire staff is all new... Young, dumb and full of cum. A handful of chippies standing around, totally clueless and barely legal. Wait a second, that's right up my alley...

But how was the 'ZA? I got the Fuoco di Napoli of course...


It was visually disappointing. I already knew how it would taste. One word: Wet. The dough/crust was flat and had heavily salted spots (how's that?). The sauce, the cheese, spicy salami and Calabrian peppers all seemed dull and lifeless. There was no zing to it, no pop or wow. There was no passion in making the pie itself, no pride, it was like a burden for the cook (it was written all over his face)... Like he was doing me a favor. He didn't even cook the fucking thing, he had his underling do his dirty deed. Yeah, standing in front of the oven and rotating the pie for 70 seconds is just too much work. The only positive thing about this specimen was that it was decently charred on the bottom. It was so depressing I almost made an appointment with my therapist.

I had high hopes for this place but without the talent behind the pies... It's only a sinking ship and time waits for no one. I don't know if they can fix the damage or even want to but if it's the latter, just closed up shop and save what little money and dignity you have left. This makes Varasano's electric oven 'Za seem authentic.

Flush.

I want my two dollars... Back.

This last visit was dismal but I'm not going to write them off just yet...

1 Star.

30 Pharr Rd
Atlanta, GA 30305
404-781-0707

http://www.fuocodinapoli.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh. "We" (GT campus) import Poopy John's like it's worth its own shits. You expect any pizza joint almost anywhere in the US to survive losing the one who cares?

sigh.

(This post is an excuse to make sure I don't have to type any password while in Shanghai. Stupid Poopy-John-eating governments. Like we give a Poopy John about who has which password. The first rule to keeping a secret is not telling anyone.)

FdN said...

We will survive and appreciate the feedback. Fried Chicken Lips-we will be glad to refund your money and make certain your next pizza is delicious!! -FdN