Monday, August 29, 2016

Brush Sushi Izakaya

Dropped in last minute on a very quiet week night... Ok, it was on a hump day, so I guess most people were at home bumping uglies while I was dry humping my pouch, like usual... And it needed to be filled. I wanted either Napoletana 'ZA or sooshee... And since I already had some below average Napo 'ZA recently, it was time for some quality sea creastures.
I have enjoyed all my visits to Brush since they opened... Ok, maybe the duo broth ramen was just ok but now they also have a lobster ramen for $28. Shit, I better start saving up for that bowl. Decatur needed a quality sooshe joint and Brush delivered because Sushi Avenue should not be on anyone's list if they actually care about real sushi. I think Brush's menu should be more acknowledged by the scenesters but it's hard to gain any traction with the sheep until some national rag deems them to be worthy... Just like Staplehouse finally got the recognition they deserve and now they are booked all the way out to October. Brush is just as worthy... They are doing everything right but we also know that most people don't know jack shit about good sushi and it doesn't involve fucking rolls, either. Let's go get a quick snack and see how they're doing these days.

Ankimo. When it's available, this saggy fat sack will order it. I can't get enough of the monkfish liver, it's so smooth, creamy, buttery, delicate and oh-so-god-damn-guud.

Brush Platter. I like their omakase but sometimes you just don't have the time to do one because there's booze to drink and hookers to see. The Brush platter is a good sampler to showcase a bunch
of their prized fishies. Look at this spread and the quality fish. Damn, it was good. Go get yer some.

Sweet Shrimp. This was a new creation by the pouch... And Jason accepted the challenge and fucking nailed it. Most places break off the tail and fry up the head to serve with the tail nigiri... But the pouch triple dog dared them to take it up a notch.... Keep the head and the tail shell intact, flour and deep fry it to give it more volume visually and bite wise. Look at it, it was a fucking thing of beauty, yo. And tasted amazing. He said, he will be doing this from now on... And I expect to be collecting my 25 cent per piece royalty going forward as well. You ran out of sweet shrimp? Fuck you, pay me! Ok, you can pay me with sweet shrimp, ok, pal?

Kabayaki Unagi, bincho-tan grilled eel, cucumber, avocado. Yeah yeah, don't even get me started... I didn't order this roll, my one reader knows how much I despise gaijin rolls. But... The eel in this case was actually very tasty, the rest of it was boring as fuck... As expected. Why do chicks and gaijins love fucking rolls? Why they keep calling it sushi? These are the things that baffles the mind and pouch.

I think this joint is way better than what the public's perception of them is... Anyone remember Soto? 13 motherfucking years in Atlanta and no one gave a shit about him or his skills... Then he moved to NYC and killed it, winning award after motherfucking award nationwide. Now, douchebags are coming out of the woodwork and saying they were regulars at Soto... Ok, where the fuck were you when he was still here? Don't be that cocksucker that says the same thing when Brush moves to another state. Do the right thing and eat as many meal here as you can and for as long as you can. Keep these motherfuckers here in Decatur and the lord knows the square needs a quality sooshee joint like this here.
Goddamn it, I'm still thinking about that sweet shrimp... Yeah, it was that good.

Squirt.

316 Church St.
Decatur, GA 30030
http://www.brushatl.com/

No comments: