Friday, August 19, 2016

Baldinos Giant Jersey Subs

Year after year, I keep driving past this sub shop and year after year, my pouch says to me, when are we ever gonna stop in there and try it out, you dingus? I tell my pouch, shut the fuck up and mind your own bidness. I feed you when I'm ready to... Then the pouch starts mumbling and rumbling... I want a hamburger. No, cheeseburger. I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake. I want potato chips... You'll get nothing, and like it!
So, after the pouch's hissy fit, I decided I would shut his ass up once and for all with a surprise visit for a couple subs. This place supposedly has been "Serving the Best Subs in the World Since 1975"... Has subs even been around that long? That's like a century ago according to millennial math. Fuck millennials, they don't even eat bread with gluten... Shit, people back in the 70's were inhaling gluten by the gallons back then, didn't give a shit or complained about it and they even lived to tell about it now. Let's go check out the subs and see if we develop a stylish condition with all that gluten in there.

Italian Special, thinly slices of pressed & boiled ham, extra provolone, salami and pepperoni. There's something very low rent and redneckish with the shredded lettuce, but somehow I adore it. Maybe because it takes less effort than to chew whole pieces of iceberg lettuce which then also lessens the time for the meat flaps and gluten to slide down to the pouch to shut it up from complaining like a little whiny bitch. The bread here is pretty good, I like it, it's perfect for a sub... But the bottom does get soggy somewhat quickly from all the Eyetalian dressing. So, turn it upside down because the top piece is more robust. It's a pretty standard Italian, the dressing is acceptable and not too herby and vinegary, there's a good amount of meat in there even though you can't see it too well hiding underneath all that vegetable shit. For the price of a half, it's a decent size sub and it will fill up your saggy fat bag.

American Special, lavish layers of turkey, boiled ham and roast beef. I really like the sound of "lavish layers" of assorted meat flaps.... So, on Sunday's they have this American Special with a soup or side for like $3.79, which is a fucking steal, yo... You can't beat that white bread with a stick. You also can't have an American Special without loading it the fuck up with 'nanner peppers and pickled japs... What exactly is an American Special sub... Who the fuck knows but it was pretty good. The bread they use here are spot on for a sub, it hold everything together pretty well.

Chicken Noodle Soup. This reminds me of the soup and bread from the Pine Street shelter when I stopped in to see what all the fuss was about their food many moons ago... Hey, I saw a big line outside and had to check it out. This cheekan noodle soup was nothing special but it helped to wash down that sub with silly lettuce strings. That dinner roll thinger was as big as the bowl of soup... Who needs that much bread.

I get how this place has been around for so long, it's relatively cheap, it's made fresh with pretty decent ingredients and the daily specials truly are a deal. They have cooked dishes and pasta salads as well but you basically come here for the subs which are totally acceptable but not super memorable. They also have a philthy cheesesteak but c'mon, how good can that be? I guess I will have to find out next time when the pouch starts moaning and groaning about never finding a decent philthy in this one horse town.

5697 Buford Hwy NE
Doraville, GA 30340
http://baldinos.us/

2 comments:

typingperson said...

Zzzzz. Subs? Really? I expect more of the pouch.

typingperson said...

Zzzzz. Subs? Really? I expect more of the pouch.