Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Apple House Best Seafood and Sushibar

This place changes names more times than a hooker changes condoms in one night... It was Best Seafood & Noodle World one week and the next Apple House Best Seafood & Sushibar... I'm still wondering where they got Apple House from, what is their back story because there is not an apple in sight except for the gen 1 iPod playing some awful music. Anyways, y'all have piqued my curiosity on this name change... My pouch is sooo aroused and stimulated right now. I kinda want some raw fish all of the sudden... From the same owners of Mint a couple doors down comes another reincarnation of the same Thai, noodles and Asian fusion food but now with sooshee! They also have raw oysters which my instincts say to stay away with conviction and continue to do so... I have already tried their Thai/Asian grub during their stint as Best Seafood & Noodle World, while it was just ok, I was now interested in the sooshee because they have renovated the space and put in a sushi bar in the middle. Y'all, already know what grade of sushi this place will have... It ain't no upscale sushi joint but I am not against low rent vittles because I live on the edge... On the edge of my toilet seat. The pouch is made of iron but even my bowels take a day or two off... Will the sooshee here give the pouch joy or gonna make the pouch give birth to a liquidity brown boy? Let's go test out a light lunch... I just stocked up on TP, so I'm good either way...
The place seems chronically dead all the time... There was one old dude server working the entire joint. He had that creepy Thai kathoey feeling about him or her... On this day, it was a man. He asked what table would I like... I'm like, dude, the entire place is empty... How about this one near the window, just in case I wanted to jump. The menu was an expanded version of the old one with the addition of sushi stuff...

Combo 909 Lunch, California roll, 3 pieces sushi, 6 pieces sashimi and hiyashi wakame. Sounded like a decent deal for $12... Came out looking ok, I must say. The other combo lunches didn't have the right combination I wanted, this was the closest... And yeah, that fucking California roll is just laughing at me right now... You can't escape it, it's in every lunch combo. The nigiri looked decent enough, not the freshest or brightest pieces of fish but doable. The sashimi looked dull from freezing and defrosting over and over again. The wakame salad tasted bland. The Cali roll was pure filler which did it's job. The fish quality was as expected, lower middle class... But we all know in this day in age the lower middle class is basically poverty level... Ok ok, the fish was low rent but it didn't give me the shits instantly. So, I'm ok with that... For now. All I'm thinking at this point is the tower of 4 rolls of ultra soft TP that is at the ready if need be.

Miso Soup. Yeah, the bento box thinger comes with a soup or salad only unlike most places that give you both but the server really didn't give you a choice, it was his version of omakase... He just plops this down in front of you like he's doing you a favor... Maybe, I wanted the salad or perhaps have you toss mine. Thanks, PAL, you fucked me again! The soup looked made in house because the tofu was cut up into larger, not uniformed cubes and the seaweed were larger sheets, unlike the instant stuff. It was an average ho-hum miso soup... If I was on Naked and Afraid, this would be a fucking 5 star meal... But I'm not on that show right now, even though, I kinda wanted to just to escape that creepy server's laser beam stare.

Spider Roll. If I see it on the menu, I will friggin order it... It's like some Pavlovian mind fuck with the pouch. Look, now, I'm drooling all over myself like Sloth from The Goonies... It's like a goddamn Baybee Rooth to me. This was kinda surprising when it came out, there was 11 pieces on the plate. Most places only give you like 5 or 6. But upon further inspection the soft shell crab is barely visible inside the roll, only the couple of legs dangling out of the end pieces let you know that it was a spider roll. The overall taste wasn't bad, but it wasn't that flavorful, either... It's kinda like bringing sushi to a picnic. You know it ain't gonna be that good but you also know that you will eat the shit outta it because you Jedi mind tricked yourself into it. While it was decent trying it for the first time, there will prolly not be a second time around.

I still don't know how Mint stays in business after all these years, it must be some kind of sorcery they have inflicted on to the people to return... But as for this place, I don't see it lasting too long before they change the name or concept again. It's too rich for the students and the quality is just not up to snuff for the working stiff with the price of admission... Even at lunch prices.

1363 Clairmont Rd
Decatur, GA 30033
Web: Bestseafood&noodle.com (http://bestseafooddecatur.com/)

No comments: