Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Wagaya Japanese Restaurant

This place has been the bomb with the locals and students lately... Well, mostly students. It is fucking packed all the time. How do students afford eating sushi on a student budget you ask? It's call mommy and daddy's credit card. Ok, I'm just fucking around with these entitled college children... Most of their parents prolly are paying for everything but let's not discount this joint's very affordable Japanese menu of sushi, sashimi, ramen, udon, rice plates and dinner sets even to the working class schmucks like me. The dinner sets are the best deals in this place, most under $20 and you come out pretty stuffed. I like this place even with all their faults... Like running an efficient front of the house. They still don't know how to allocate people around. If you're a two top and don't want to sit at the sushi bar when it's the only space available, you will have to wait for a 2 top table and not fucking hog a 4 top table when there's like 20 people waiting. C'mon, it's table turnover 101. I guess I can't fault the cream cheese crackers if they want a table to eat their California rolls on, it's really the host's fault for seating them at a 4 top at peak time. That's 2 extra seats that you're not making money on while the 2 seats at the sushi bar sits empty also not making any bank and turnover. Shit like this gets me all worked up because people can't be actually this stupid, can they? Like my mama says, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you just can't fix stupid."
But let's get back on track here... Basically, I just wanted a quick bite so I can get the fuck over to Little Trouble to slay some young angry dragons. Let's do a quick revisit and see how they're doing since my visits.

Box Sushi “Hako Sushi”. I don't usually do rolls because they are for suckaz and whities but when I see box sushi, I'm always interested in how they interpret it. This box sushi had spicy tuna, topped w/unagi, smoked salmon, avocado... Sounds like a mess but at least there wasn't any cream cheese in there. It actually tasted pretty good... Well, good for pouch filler. It isn't true hakozushi but for this area who the fuck cares... Like anybody in here would even notice. This was pretty decent, anything more piled on top of this thing woulda been too much for me. It wouldn't be sushi anymore, it would be cake.

Sashimi & Udon. This is one of the best dinner set deals in town. You get sashimi, inari, tempura and a bowl of udon... All for under $19. You're not gonna get top grade sashimi but everything was prepared nicely and it didn't taste like cheap shit, so it's got that going for it. If you're fat like me, this is a great appetizer which leads me to the dinner set...

Ramen & Katsu. Tonkotsu and Tonkatsu combo... You can't go wrong with that right? I asked the server how big the tonkatsu was... She did some circular hand gesture and I gotta admit it kinda got me a little hard after a 2 seconds... I woulda finished if she kept doing it for like 18 seconds more. What a cock tease. But she sold me on the slutty tonkatsu like Lamar at the Bunny Ranch. It came out looking like a fucking frozen hockey puck that was thrown into the deep fryer. It was chewy and tasted like factory made... I have had McRibs that tasted more like a tonkatsu. Failed big time on this one. The tonkotsu ramen on the other hand was quite good this time around... Looks like they have been working on the broth since my last visits. The broth was creamy and rich but it still needed that higher level of collagen to give it that stickiness it sorely needs. But it was still a very acceptable bowl of tonkotsu for intown. Next time I will just stick with the Chuka dinner set... Best deal in town.

This place did good picking their location close to the students with an affordable menu. But that doesn't mean it's full of cheap shitty eats like Ru San's. While it may not be the best grade sushi in town, the menu however is well rounded off enough to make up for it. I still like this place and that should say a lot to my one fan.

339 14th St NW
Atlanta, GA 30318
404-390-3798   
http://wagaya.us/

No comments: