Thursday, January 28, 2016

Dish Dive Mondays

I think I have said to my one reader in the past that I adore this place. This tiny ass space is the definition of a local joint for the local yokels. I have been here a handful of times and it has lived up to my expectations every time. I have been on a pilgrimage in search for the mecca of all lobster rolls in Atlanta... C'mon, puh-leez, we all know lobster rolls suck in this one horse town. Ok, they don't suck suck but the lofty price paid for them was basically a robbery in progress. Shit, what is it with this town and charging upwards of $30 for a smallish lobster roll. I have made lobster rolls for less than $10 and they were 100 times better... But sometimes I'm just a lazy piece of lumpy cow muffin and don't feel like picking the meat outta the shell, so I get suckered into paying those sky high prices only to get kicked in the wallet and nuts again and again... That is until, Shane put a cute Vietnamese spin on the classic lobster roll on DD's special Monday menu. And get this shit, it's under twenty-fucking-dollars. SOLD, motherfuckers!
Everyone knows what this joint looks like and how it operates, it's basically a dining room with a kitchen... Enough small talk, let's just get to the good stuff.

Banh Maine. Don't bitch and complain to me about having shallots on top... I'm a classic lobster roll kinda pouch, myself but I also know this ain't no classic lob roll either. That's why it's called a Banh Maine... But at it's soul it is a real lobster roll, just with a little hint of Vietnamese finesse. The top split bun was from Alon's which was spot on and the lobster meat was finished off in butter. The dry rub dusted prawn chips are a nice touch to keep it within the theme.

Buttered and toasted... Finally, a place that does it right. It was a very well stuffed roll, err, banh Maine. The lobster meat was spot on, not over-cooked and rubbery like most places. The meat was so tender like little pillows of sweet buttery clouds. The shallots and celery leaves worked well, it didn't take away or tried to distract you from what you're actually eating. This was a very tasty lob roll and the $19 price tag made it even more dericious.

Cabbage & Green Papaya. This was an impressive mound of ruffage. I love me some Som Tum... But so many Thai joints fuck it up so badly. I wasn't expecting an authentic Som Tum here, fuck no of course not, but since this menu tonight was all about Asian grubbery, I had to try it... And I'm glad I did. This shit was real tasty, the only thing it needed was more fish sauce and lime juice for the acidity. But overall, this nouvelle version bested most Thai joints in town. The mint played very well in this dish as well and the little fried onions and garlic gave it that extra crunch.

Pork & Crab Eggroll. I know what y'all are thinking... $8 for 3 eggrolls may seem pricey to the slutty Chinese grubbing roundeye but the filler inside ain't the same chopped up rabbit shit cabbage you would find at those other dumps. This was filled with a good amount of pork but the crab was a bit on the light side. Still really good, though... Although, I woulda fried them a tad bit longer for a more golden crust. I ain't complaining though, just a personal preference.

"Monday's with Shane"... Sounds like a public access television show. Wait, a minzie... That's a good idea.

Theses bastards did it again... They did dun good to fill da pouch up with tasty vittles once again. Like I said before, we need more of these local yokel joints, it's good for da hood and for da pouch. Places like this give cooks the freedom to make what the people want and the kick ass lobster roll was everything that I was looking for in this town. Double D is off da hook, riding da bus to flavortown, so gansta, it is so money that you'll want to shut da front door... My bad, that's the other public access TV show with that flaming hair cocksucker, Triple Dicks. No donkey sauce here, thank baby fucking Jesus... Was that too much? Was it out of bounds?

2233 College Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30317 
404-957-7918
http://www.dishdivekitchen.com/#about

4 comments:

Pinky said...

If you're in sfo, go to the New England Lobster Market in Burlingame. You'll love it.

Unknown said...

Big fan of your blog. IMO most spot on reviews in town and definitely the most frequent. I wanted to invite you to come check out my distillery in O4W. Hit me up if you're interested.
gabe@o4d.com

Gastronome said...

I have done the O4W tour with y'all in the very beginning and it was really cool! I didn't make it back to get that special cap or band thinger for my O4D bottle, though... sniff sniff. I like the vodka a lot and now waiting for the bourbon.

Unknown said...

Well I still have a few and just may have some bourbon for you to try as well. We are about a year in but it is already damn delicious. Got some other goodies like absinthe as well. Come by any time.