Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Bread & Butterfly

Cakes & Ale does a good job and their Decatur Square location is pretty much money in da bank... Let's check out their little French-esque style cafe spin-off in trendy Inman Park. Remember, French cuisine is just cursed in this town, it's almost taboo to even think about opening a French-ish concept because no one really cares or knows much about French grub in this town. I have yet to find a real French resto utilizing proper techniques, it's a tough cuisine to get right... Maybe that's why it takes decades to master it and to even call yourself a real "chef". These days, people are even calling themselves "chef" working at Olive Garden or Buffalo Wild Wings... I once even heard some retard say that he was the executive chef for Arby's. Dude, stop. Don't fucking embarrass yourself... Y'all may have the meats but you ain't got the brains.
Enough of that malarkey... Let's get back to some frog vittles... I stopped by for a quick lunch and I was just not excited about the menu at all. How the fuck can you not have a croque of any gender on this menu? Shit, I'll even take a transgender croque... Put two tiny fucking quail eggs on top of a piece of cheesy bread with a saucisson hidden inside and call it a Croque Caitlyn and I will eat the shit outta it. But to my dismay, they have never heard of such a dish.
The whole entire menu is an unorganized mess... If you don't know French cuisine, you're gonna have a hard time guessing what the fuck each dish is. I saw a woman come in and sit down, stared at the menu in confusion and got up and walked out... Bless her heart. I looked around and most people were eating salads... Yeah, fucking salads. Bless their fucking hearts, too. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from them. Maybe I should just shut the fuck up and let the sheep pretend they are eating at a real French Cafe/Bistro... The shit I do.

Burger Americain. I really wanted a croque madame but none was had on the menu... I wanted something in sandwich form and this was the closest thing to one. There was this vegan French dip thing but vegan and French should never go together. I also wasn't really in the mood for a burger but beggars can't be choosers. When it came out I thought this looked like a fancy White Castle double burger... Guess what? It was steamy, gooey, juicy and really tasted like one, too... The soft steamed brioche bun barely held this beast together. I must admit, this was only good just because it reminded me of a dericious White Castle burger. The skinny fries were pretty good as well... But I still wanted a goddamn croque.

Tartine Provence. This was the only other thing that remotely interested me... But when it came out, it was a real snoozer. Who can't make this at home? If you can't make this at home, you prolly shouldn't be operating a TV remote. It's a piece of bread with thinly sliced cured "saucisson sec" with green shit on top.. What makes this French you ask? The friggin cornichons, perhaps? But cornichons don't belong on a tartine. This would work better if it was deconstructed... Because I had no clue how to eat this. I wanted to ask them for another piece of bread to put on top so I can eat it like a sando. A knife and fork on this thing does not work because the crust is so hard and thick that it won't cut through. You end up deconstructing it anyways and eating it with your fingers. That is just way too much work for me. I'm fucking exhausted already!

I have no doubt that they are using quality ingredients but it's a shame that the menu is still a work in progress. The dinner menu has a dish or two that looks decent but I'm not rushing back anytime soon... By the looks of it, I don't think anyone else is either judging by the crowds here and the crowds at Beetle Cat. The service was spotty even though they had a ton of staff on hand but getting their attention proved more difficult than their OCD attention to cleaning up tables. They have all the right tools in the shed but they seemed more like the carpenter's apprentice. For a small space, the menu is everything and this menu needs help... Along with a few other issues.


290 Elizabeth St.
Atlanta, GA 30307
678-515-4536
http://www.bread-and-butterfly.com/

No comments: