Monday, November 4, 2013

The Morning After Pouch

I rarely do breakfast and I certainly don't do brunch because I'm not one of those yentas from Sex and the City. But what I would do early in the morning is fried chicken. Shit, I can do fried chicken anytime, who am I kidding. If I could marry it I would but I have had taken it on a honeymoon or two... Ok, many times. Yeah, I'm a whore for fried chicken. Some like to have orgies in questionable places like in the bathrooms at Halo, but I like to have them in my mouth. That's not weird, I swear. Ok, mebbe a little.

I had the hankering for some fatty goodness... And nothing says fatty goodness than fried chicken biscuits smothered in sausage gravy after a night of heavy drankin'. Hillbillies fuckin' lurv this shit, I had to see what all the fuss was about at a few popular local joints, old and new.

Home Grown.
This place is a gold mine for a reason. Shit is guud, y'all. Time for a revisit and wait for an hour for a seat to eat breakfast food. Totally worth it.

Comfy Chicken Biscuit. Look at it... Who wouldn't love this? I like their style... Ladling a giant scoop of that gravy gold haphazardly on top and get it out on the fly before a fat kid starts crying like a prepubescent bitch. Crispy juicy chick sleeping on top of a pillowy biscuit and peeking out from under that sausage gravy blanket... Makes me wanna put in some snuggle time with this chippy. But this chick will have to snuggle with my pouch instead.

French Toast Sandwich. Luther Vandross wishes he thought this up first but he'll just have to settle for his doughnut burger. Chicks will definitely order this because it's a cute sandwich... But prolly not the fat chicks. They like their protein and they want it now... Like meatloaf. MA! The meatloaf, we want it now! The grits were creamy and dreamy... That's beautiful, what is that velvet?

I would say run don't walk to this joint but everyone already has.
 
968 Memorial Dr SE
Atlanta, GA 30316
(404) 222-0455


Folk Art.
Wisteria's new little southern joint is artsy, folky and tasty.

  
Folk Southern Fried. Rule #1 to sausage gravy... Never skimp on it. And that goes for rule #2 and #3, too. The sausage gravy was really good but they don't give enough of it. The ratio between the fried egg, fried chicken and 2 giant square pieces of biscuits was just too overwhelming for a couple of spoonfuls of that dericious gravy. The manager asked how it was, I said good but it needed more gravy... So, he gave me a bottle of Sriracha. WTF, yo. I liked this dish a lot, the only weird thing was that the biscuits were in a corn bread, polenta kinda format from a hotel pan. Not bad at all but not a true biscuit.

Eggs Benedict w/ Whole Hog Sausage. Poached eggs are prolly the only breakfast things I would actually pay for in a resto because it takes too much effort to do it at home (not really but I'm just lazy to go through the setup at home). This dish was totally acceptable, not the best eggs benny but totally worth trying. The only problem was that one of the eggs was fully cooked through and the other runny like it should be. I'll let it slide this time but it better be runny like a lactose intolerant South East Asian next time or else... Oh wait, that didn't come out right... Or maybe it did. Squirt.

Banana Nut Foster Waffles. Sounded great on paper but it was a little disappointing. It wasn't bad, it was tasty in fact but just a bit plain Jane across the board. Expected a little more pow and wow. I guess it is what it is. It was a waffle after all.

Definitely will come back and try the lunch/dinner stuff. The sriracha stunt still makes me laugh.

465 North Highland Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30307
(404) 537-4493


Silver Skillet.
They don't call it the Silver Skillet for nothing.. It's been around since Ben Franklin discovered electricity. Speaking of old... Some silver hair almost started a fist fight with some wiseass whipper snapper because he was blocking the front door. I would not start a fight with Irving Zisman because he might throw his pair of soiled Depends at me. That's one badass grandpa. I'm a eater not a fighter... And the pouch needs cheekan now.

Cheekan Biscuit. Pretty standard piece of fried boneless breast. A no frills, bells or whistle kinda specimen. Sometimes, plain and simple is the way to go. The biscuit and gravy that I accidentally used will be discussed more in the next segment... But the fried chicken was pretty tasty overall.

Grilled Corned Beef Hash. The food cost of this plate has gotta be somewhere between 25 cents and a buck O' seven... Depends on which day you order this. Slightly on the higher range on the weekends because they open more cans of hash for the weekend rush. The 2 spoonfuls of corned beef hash was straight from a bulk sized can of Aldi's Brookdale best. Every part of a pig that is not fit for canine consumption can be had on this plate. The eggs over easy as requested were spot on with classic yellow tint of grease flowing underneath it. The gravy... Oh, dear, the gravy. Nothing says comfy snuggle under a warm blanket feeling than a gravy where the flour is barely cooked through, tacky, pasty and unseasoned except for the black pepper specks. For a place that is built on grease, this gravy had no evidence of it. No self-respecting Southerner would fix gravy without lard and/or animal grease. 

Biscuits. Well, that's what they're calling them... They were more like yeasty dinner rolls than fluffy delicate biscuits. Sometimes, I use sliced white bread if I run out of hot dog buns but I don't call them hot dog buns. I know the clientele here doesn't exact have 20/20 vision but one look you know those aren't southern biscuits.

Syrupy Pancake. Oh, fuck yeah they were... Only after dousing it with the travel size Aunt Jemima peel and pour plastic tubs. I like it that you can do a single order of pancake because I have to save room for the other bowel lubing short order magic.

Is the food really that good? No, not really but when you come here you're buying the history, experience and ambiance of this Atlanta institution.
 
200 14th St NW
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404) 874-1388



No comments: