Friday, November 22, 2013

Pallookaville Fine Foods

Everybody and their grandma has been all like... "This is the tits to the knees" since this place opened. I don't know if their grandma really said that, come to think of it, I don't think anyone has ever said that... Ok, it was just me, I made that shit up. But yeah, I was excited too for this kitschy shop to open up. I like circuses, carnivals, side shows and creepy clowns. But I wasn't stupid enough to think this type of state fair grub was gonna change my way of life. This is the type of chow that you do once in awhile for shits and giggles... Great for kids and out of towners. What I do know is that they do make a kickass corn dog. Let's see what else is going on with the menu.

Chocolate Malted Shake, Egg Cream. Malted is the only way to shake your money maker, shit, you'll definitely have a fat ass if you drink enough of these shakes. I was really excited to see a NY Style Egg Cream made with Fox's U-Bet chocolate syrup on the menu but then I came back to reality. I have tried every egg cream in this town and they were all failures. I don't know what's with NY 'Za and NY egg creams, but no one can get it right outside of NYC (like the NYC 'Za). This version was all seltzer and milk with a tiny squirt of chocolate syrup at the bottom. What a disappointment, I had to ask the server for extra chocolate syrup... It was just plain not good. But the shakes are good. I will have to try their homemade sodas next time. No sriracha shake this time, I'ma too skeered that it will suck which will make me sad.

Poutine. Small portion of fries with gravy and curd on top that cost an extra $4 on top of the fries which made this small sample of poutine at a skull scratching $6.50. Hope it's worth what the server was saying that the gravy was made with bone marrow and junk. Fries could use another couple of minutes in the fryer, the curds were decent, the gravy was thin and scarce for the price of admission. The overall flavor of the gravy was pretty weak from what little I got scraping the bottom for every last drop of it. I love poutine but this needs work to make it worth the scratch I shelled out (not that it was expensive but I'm no sucker either).

Corndogski, Polish Kielbasa.  The batter is thick yet delicate. Like I said before, it's a pretty badass corn dog. Their grainy mustard is the only condiment to be used with this plump and crusty beast.

Beef Frank. This is one girthy beef dog. It is a good tube steak, but the bun seriously needs to be buttered and toatsted to maximize the total umami explosion in your mouth... Chicks will thank me for it.

Pork Burger. It sounds better on paper than in your mouth. It is basically a breakfast pork sausage patty on a bun. I got the 1/4 to test it but maybe I needed to get the 1 pounder to get the full effect? Who knows but it would be on the bottom of my list next time. Maybe I can sucker someone at the table to get it. Not bad, just not really crave-worthy. Once again, bun - buttered and toasted.

Deli Duo, 1/4 Corned Beef, 1/4 Pastrami, Half Sour. This is a good deal to sample both the corned beef and pastrami. They put more than enough meats on each than you really need to eat. Both looked pretty good, nice color, nice flavor, a little too fatty but it needed a serious dunk in the drippings. That's the key, both pastrami and corned beef needs to be either sliced to order to maintain moisture... Or if pre-sliced for order efficiency, a quick dip in the drippings is a must. The half sour was half a pickle with half the sour flavor, they don't lie. I still liked it, though. And one more time, buttered and toasted, bun needs be.

There's a bunch of other stuff I need to try on the menu (ie: smoked chicken salad sando) but overall first impressions left room for needed light improvements. There were equal amounts of hits and misses but they are definitely on the right track. The place is fun for adults and kids alike... Shit, we can't forget the hipsters. Luckily, there is booze, which will make sharing space with a room of full beards and oversized spectacle frames without lenses bearable. Who am I kidding... Fraudy hipsters are unbearable even when drunk.

Go check it out, you will enjoy it even if the food is not up to snuff right now. 


17N Avondale Plaza
Avondale Estates, GA 30002
404-500-1786
http://pallookaville.com/

1 comment:

mindspringyahoo said...

ate here probably around the same time as you. Good but kind of a novelty. Kind of pricey for a family of 4, too.