Monday, December 2, 2013

Chicken Little Pouch

I like chicken. No, I lurv cheekan. Especially, fried chicken... In case y'all didn't know. But sometimes I eat wings. Ok, I eat a lot of wings. I eat so many of these fowl limbs that I'm starting to grow feathers on my gorgeous smooth tight olive skin. If I grow enough feathers, I could cover more acreage in less time and hit more wing targets like a drone. Pay me extra and I'll deliver Amazon packages, too. I really overloaded on some wings the past few days... It's like an IED in my pouch. Time to install some seat belts on the toilet.


Villians.

Random Task. Spicy fried chicken wings, Odd Job sauce, kimchi slaw. Not spicy, a bit salty, a little chintzy on the portion for the price, passable but definitely not in the top 5. Once is about enough.


Wings 101.

20 Piece Combo. Half super extra hot, half honey garlic, and shrimp fried rice. Korean owned and operated wings and fried rice joint, imagine that. Decent location (Lindbergh) for this type of grub, surprisingly they got a lot of traffic coming through here. Super extra hot was more like medium mild. The honey garlic was more peppery than garlicky, the light coat of diluted honey did it's job. The shlimp flied lice was what you would expected it to be, it was aight. I never got the whole idea of pairing wings with fried rice but people love this duo and eat the shit outta of it... Not available at Taco Mac or Buffalo Wild Wings. It's not a bad wings joint for a casual visit but it won't win any top spots.


Publix.

Publix makes a really decent fried chicken, it would be only fair to give their wings a shout out, too. Half breaded and half buffalo style. As with the fried cheekan, these wangz came out very decent as well... Especially, when they just came out of the fryer. The buffalo style is not spicy but that doesn't stop me from eating one after another in record time.


Hong Kong Harbor.

Spicy Braised Wings. Six large wings in a semi-spicy, tangy, sweet sauce. These are pretty damn good when they come out fresh. It's crispy, juicy and saucy. The spoon is there for a reason, get that sauce all over them real good.


Jimmie's Hot Chicken at Gato.

Hot Chicken. They ran out of spicy Asian wings. Hot chicken not really wings but they are limbs, the choices were 2 legs, 1 thigh or 1 breast. They ran out of thigh and breast, take a guess what I got. It's a cute dish but it ain't no Nashville hot cheekan, it's Jimmie's hot cheekan. The spicy dry rub/crust wasn't bad but it really didn't have much heat to it, it peaked (using that term lightly) after 2 bites. The leg meat were a bit chewy and dry. Good try but I think I'll wait til they get their shit down.


Sobban.

Korean Fried Cheekan Wangz. Holy motherfucker. These are some of the best goddamn wangz I have ever had. The double fried crust is crispy crunchy crackly, the meat tender and moist. The sticky spicy sweet glaze coating it was da bomb. They are not very spicy but they are amazing, I could eat 2 dozen of these with no problem. Fuck me, I'm still thinking about them days later... That's crave-worthy.


Bone Lick BBQ.

Smoked Wings. Medium size, minimal smokiness, nice char, semi-tender/juicy inside. Not too shabby at all but they kinda tail off in the instant gratification department after the 4th or 5th wing. I'd be on the fence on getting these again... But I wouldn't say no if you shared your basket with me.


Nam Phuong.

Fried Chicken Wings w/ Glazed Fish Sauce. I fell in love with these chippies the first time I had them a few years ago at the Jimmy Carter location. They are just crave-worthy. The sweet pungent fish sauce glaze on these crispy tender wings make them finger licking good. The Buford Hwy location doesn't do them as well as the original location but they are still the tits... I get my tongue in every little crevice of that V shaped wingette to extract the tiniest pieces of pearl meat, it's that good.


Bookhouse.

Wingy. Extra crispy, sauce on the side. These two dishes are a must every time I come here. The bone marrow is the best deal in town, screw them fancypants joints that charge double digits for 1 piece. The wings here are spot on. Perfect medium size, crispy skin, juicy steaming hot innards make these limbs chicken lip smacking good. The hot sauce is pretty much standard issued but they do the trick when dunked and coated properly.


Penang.

Pandan Ayam. Deep fried chicken wing wrapped in pandan (screwpine) leaves. You can screw me anytime, hoss. These beauties are so friggin good. The pandan leaves give them a hint of grassy herby flavor, just make you untie them first, you don't want to eat them. I love places when they use the whole wing including the tips. I still dream about them even when I'm at Popeyes.


Argosy.

Chicken Lollipops. Look how fancy they're presented. Properly frenched wangz and pretty tasty. Nice bleu cheesey consistency. I liked these a lot... Now, only if they would put a hamburger patty somewhere in between there.


Quickly.

Taiwanese Wings. Of course, I can't leave out one of my favorite snatch spots. There's nothing special about these wings except that they are deep fried to fucking heaven... Oh, it's heaven. The simplicity of the crackly skin, the fatty juicy inside makes these wings addictive. I'm glad they only give 4 per order or else I'm in fucking trouble with my doctor. Fuck him, I don't have one.

Chicken Nuggets. I know they're not wings but they could be made from mechanically separated chicken wing parts. Can't come here without getting them ridiculous nuggets, extra fucking spicy, pweez. If I have some Popeyes Cajun Sparkle ghetto MSG, I would dump that shit on it, too. Best nugs in all the lands.


Honey Bits.

Lemon Pepper Wings. One of the newer Asian tea/snack shops to open recently, mostly hit or miss but they're trying. The lemon pepper wings were pretty good but a little too wet and not enough pepper. Get it together and they would be a seller.

Chicken Nuggets. Yeah, it's no Quickly... They were fried nuggets. Not spicy. The end. PS- It's cute that they use Chinese take out boxes but please stop, they are such a waste of money and paper. Just put them in a bag, yeah, I'm being super FOB.. But I do care about unnecessary waste and the impact on our environment. Like the rest of the nuggets I tossed into the garbage. HAHA suckaz!


I know what y'all are thinking... Where's Popeyes wings? I got two boxes of them last night but I was too excited and forgot to take pics of them wings. But rest assure, they were fucking incredible as usual. Stay calm and go to Popeyes, open til midnight or later.

2 comments:

Mauve said...

I'd love your opinion of the smoked wings from Hambones in Hapeville. My Delta friends go CRAZY for them!

Tim said...

Great write up. I've lately been impressed with Graveyard. I typically conduct my litmus test with ordering wings "naked"/"plain" with the sauce on the side to preserve the crunchy texture. But in Graveyard's case I was more than happy to indulge in the Sweet Thai Chili as is.