Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Gunshow

Oh, shit... Y'all knew this was coming sooner or later. I just like to build up the suspense for my one reader.

I cringe like nails on a chalkboard every time I hear the words "dim sum" spoken around this joint. Is the staff really trained to say and use the words dim sum constantly? The menu is as dim sum as a NYC dirty water dog cart is tapas. There is nothing dim sum about the place, not one Asian ingredient in the kitchen except a staff's package of Korean Hong Ramyun noodle soup with soy peptide on the rack off to the side. Why use the term dim sum at a Southern resto? This baffles and annoys me since the menu here is really more tapas based on the portion, ingredients and techniques used. But whatever, I'm game to see what they're doing here after a few months of pitching dim sum to the gullible masses.

Pork Skin Risotto. Crumbling some pork rind bits on top does not make it a pork skin risotto but this was a very savory dish. A bit salty. Make that damn salty but what the hell, it was still a nice little dish. Keyword: little. Meaning fat people will not be amused or satisfied. 

Shrimp & Grits, roasted garlic, chorizo. I have had so many different versions of goddamn shrimp & grits all over the place, they're starting to taste all the same. This was a tasty sample but it doesn't really stand out. I forgot about this already until I saw the pic I took.

Vegetarian Chili. It may be vegetarian on some weird level but it's definitely not chili. It's seasoned mushrooms with a dollop of sour cream. While it was totally edible, I'm still scratching my sack on how this was called a chili.

Turkey Mole. Cute but the mole needed more kick. Turkey and corn tortilla weren't all that. I don't remember how it tasted because it really didn't have any taste to it.

Tunnbrodrulle. Swedish Delight. Is this a frankfurter gyro? I don't care, I'm eating it just because it has a weird name. The skin flute was good but the rest of the mess was kinda bland. I just don't get it, I guess.

Carolina Flounder Chowder. Not really a chowder but not a bad dish. Flounder cooked spot on, the "chowder" needed more chowder. Not too shabby, though.

Pasta Promenade. It's hard to screw up pasta, wait a minzie, on second thought, you can really fuck it up. But this dish was well constructed and very tasty.

Jamaican Curry Goat. A couple people at the table hated this but I thought it was pretty decent. The curry wasn't really curry but more of a sauce. The goat was tender and had decent flavor. Almost always goat curry is eaten with rice but they served it with some flat bread thinger. I wished they tried to do a Coco bread but the "naan" lacked seasoning so it was pretty bland but you're gonna dip it in the sauce anyways.

Late Autumn Breakfast. Fun name, fun dish. Very creative and tasty. One of the better dishes on the menu.

Braised Short Rib, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, apple. You can't go wrong with short rib, tender, flavorful and just plain good.

Banana Pudding. Looks promising until you dunk your spoon into it and lift up hard unripe bananas. The meringue was raw in the middle and needed sugar. It just didn't get executed correctly. What a shame.

Chocolate Thin Mint. Since the banana pudding was such a failure, this thin mint thinger looked like a winner compared to it. Desserts are boring to me but this was acceptable I guess, not very rich or orgasmic. For the price paid for this brownie, we coulda got 3 boxes of real Thin Mints, now those are the bomb.

You can easily blow over $50 per person here in a blink of an eye... Wait, you will blow over $50 per person. For that much scratch you would think you will come outta there with a full pouch. Not so much. The portions are ridiculously anemic. They push the dishes with conviction, sometimes even putting it down on the table like you ordered it off the menu and walk away. I had to do a double take a couple of times and told him to get his ass back here and take that shit away. The price paid in the end did not give me any more added value... It made me want to go home and cry myself to sleep. They genuinely believe in what they're doing and some dishes are pretty good, I just don't know how long this "concept" will last or should I say the public wants but afterwards we ended up eating half the menu at Octopus Bar, Clermont Lounge for slutty drinks and then late night snacks at Bamboo Luau paired with those nuclear glow in the dark drankz. It was not a cheap night but we fucking had a blast.


924 Garrett Street SE
Suite C
Atlanta, GA 30316
404-380-1886
http://www.gunshowatl.com/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a blast too! We need to do that again soon.

C

mindspringyahoo said...

don't know you. Love the blog. Gunshow looks like a rip.