Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Carolyn's Gourmet Cafe

There were more cockroaches than humans up in this piece on a friday night. W T F, yo?! Seriously, I have never seen a more well behaved cockroach ever in my life, he was smarter than my stupid dog. He sat there patiently looking at me with those lonely compound eyes... All 4000 lenses. How can anyone with a heart not give in to those big black cocky eyes? I gave him a small sampler plate, he thanked me and went on his way. Why can't all roaches be this civil instead of sneaking around in the dark?

This place was dead as fuck can be... But it looked safe enough to grab a quick bite before the weekend's melee of booze and sweet sodomy in some women's stall. This joint has been around for awhile and every time I drive past it, it looks closed or maybe it's just dead. I'm guessing they do a good deal of lunch business to sustain this operation. But it's definitely not a night time watering hole. The menu is your standard pub grub, nothing really exciting... Rather boring to tell the truth. I almost got up and left but decided to try it out anyways since I already went through the motions.

Cheekan Wangz. The mystery hot sauce had to be put on the side since they had no clue if it was made in house or from a bucket. It was from a plastic jug and tasted like ketchup. The wings were plump, crispy and a tad dry inside. Not bad, pretty much standard issue at most joints. It won't win any contests.

Fish Tacos. What do you want to know? It was "Two lightly battered fish filets diced and topped with cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato and a zesty sauce, served with warm tortilla chips and queso." like it was printed on the menu. When they don't tell ya what kinda fish it is, should you be worried? I hope they taste better than the stale ass chips and gluey queso. Spoke too soon, fish tacos were crap and ice cold.

Carolyn's Original Burger. Cooked to temp... Somewhat medium-rare-ish. The sweet tater fries were limp, tepid and tired, kinda like me on the couch with my hands down my pants watching 'Any Which Way But Loose' the other night. That Clyde is such a sexy beast! This burger wasn't. I guess it's an average burger even though they boast it's a "Eight ounce Black Angus ground beef seasoned to perfection". Bottomline: It's edible. The fries were not.

Service was spotty because there were like 2 people working but the waitress/bartender was nice enough. I guess this joint does well enough during the week day lunch crowd from the surrounding office buildings that they could care less about dinner service (why even keep it open at night?). One would think this spot would be killing it with college kids or what not. But they're not. They do have an AYCE wings on Tuesday nights but I think I'll pass on the AYCE pizza.

Fair Rating.

1151 West Peachtree Street Northwest
Atlanta, GA 30309
(404) 607-8100
http://www.carolynsgourmetcafe.com/

No comments: