Thursday, February 23, 2012

Urban PL8

Huff Road gets overlooked most of the time because of the mini mall that contains Bacchanalia/Star Provisions, JCT, TDS and Figo... But if you drive down this road, you'll find a couple pleasant surprises. Urban PL8 is not new by any means but you won't find many people living in Dickhater coming here to eat as oppose to west side inhabitants going to eat in Decatur Square. It is kinda a hidden spot for the locals. Which is fine by me. It's cozy but has the industrial feel with the big kitchen (there is a lot of wasted useable space back there), high ceilings and large windows. The menu is ever evolving, so that's a good thing. At least you know they aren't robots cooking the same boring crap over and over again. So, let's take a quick peek at some of the newer items on their menu...


Crab Claws. Don't expect giant stone crab claws with a ton of meat on it. They're smaller but still did the trick. The little spicy Asian/salsa-esque concoction wasn't half bad. But seriously, I don't think I would order this again, it wasn't bad but it didn't make me sit on the edge of my seat like at a monster truck show either. It's a been there, done that kinda deal. Don't be sad.


Puerto Rican Beef Wraps. I don't know what's PR about this... It was like a spicier version of a Manwich, except they put it on romaine lettuce leaves. Oh, no, how sacrilegious! Manwich meat belongs on crappy burger buns... Unbuttered and untoasted. This is a classic trailer park delicacy. so, don't ruin it, sport. But I kinda liked it, it was pretty good.


Vietnamese-style Banh Mi Angus Burger. Sounded interesting, gotta git it. They even asked for a temp but I was really skeptical, so, I went medium-rare. Came out looking burnt like a Tartufo pie but the inside was fucking spot-on med-rare! WTF! Yesss. But that was the extend of my enthusiasm. You can call it a Banh Mi burger but a Banh Mi tis not. The flavors were so jumbo-ed all over the place that it kinda negated itself, it just didn't work for me.


Falafel. A lot of people love this stuff... I'm not a huge fan of it but I'll eat it from time to time. The deep frying makes the garbanzo and/or fava beans taste so much better. But this interpretation was like a military strike... I was shocked and awed. This was not fried at all, it was a mushy spread that was cooked on a flat top. That's a first. Live long enough and you will have eaten it all... Unless you live in single-wide then it's just Count Chocula and spoiled chocolate milk... Or regular milk with dirt in it.

It's a cute local joint but the dishes are a bit rough around the edges. It needs a little refining because it seemed too cafeteria-esque. The service is friendly and attentive. They've been around for awhile so I guess they're doing something right and the locals seem to enjoy it... People enjoy Applebee's, too, but what do I know.

1 Star.

1082 Huff Road Northwest
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404) 367-0312
http://www.urbanpl8.com/

No comments: