Monday, February 27, 2012

Pannenkoekenhuis Upstairs

I love this city and the Dutch loves pannenkoeken aka pancakes. Who knew? Well, definitely not Billy Bob in his single-wide in upstate Georgia. Amsterdam isn't known for super awesome global cuisine in the past but in the last few years they have been moving up the scale for some really good food, thanks to a semi-healthy economy and a heavy tourism sector, along with a lot of great chefs from Europe/Asia moving here as well. Most people think their national dish is hair pie in the Red Light District... But pancakes is their unspoken national dish since they eat it any time of the day (breakfast, lunch and dinner). There are tons of pancake houses all around AMS but this one is supposedly the best of the best.

This one room "restaurant" is arguably the smallest restaurant in the city. Climb a flight of super steep staircase/ladder and enter a room the size of a large bathroom. Good luck finding a seat in one of the 3 tiny 2 top tables, but there is one table that can fit up to 5 peeps uncomfortably. Ok, it isn't that cramped... For a Monchhichi.

Rainbow flag means they have fruity pancakes that day.


Narrow/steepest stair case. It was like climbing a fucking ladder. If you're wasted, your ass is toast. And if you're not wasted, the day is. There's a great little coffeeshop called Kadinsky across the street. Go beforehand... And after.


Ceiling full of teapots. If one falls and splits your head open, that's a sign of good luck. That's what the locals told me in Dutch. So, I thanked them in their native tongue with a friendly, "Fahrvergnügen"! I think that means fuck off. My kinda language.


Smaller than my piece of shit kitchen. But it pumps out some dericious grub... I like pancakes! Pump pump squirt.


Dutch Hot Chocolate. These fuckers know how to make a proper hot coco... Unlike Cafe Intermezzo's water down sewage water that I had before I left for AMS. Another thing I love is their orange juice, every place does it fresh squeezed, not from that concentrate crap.


Apple and Speck (bacon). This shit is giant, fluffy and really good. They definitely don't skimp on the toppings. Gobble gobble, gone in 60 secs. Had to order me another one.


Bananas, 10x, chocolate syrup, whipped cream and strawberries. Shit was insane. Diabetes just called, they want their sugar back.


I don't even know what this was except it had pineapples on it. My buddy obviously liked it because I didn't even get a bite, that fat fucker.

This place is just awesome, if you're in AMS next, definitely make a trip here... Before and after a few visits to some of the local coffeeshops. Somehow, people get the munchies a lot in this city. And I thought I was a fat pig when it comes to eating.

Puff puff give.

2.5 Stars.

Grimburgwal 2
1012 GA Amsterdam
020-626-56-03

No comments: