Saturday, February 11, 2012

Siam Square Thai Cuisine

This place has been in this side show of a strip mall for years... Either the owners are filthy rich wit moolah to burn or their food is freakishly amazing hidden in this unassuming spot. The first thing that smacks you in the face when you walk in is the intense smell of a freshly used outhouse. I almost walked out but I saw a few people eating so I guess it may be safe... Did I really just say that? Never mind, let's just get it over it because I'msa huunngree...


(Som-Tum-Thai)

Green papaya salad. It's cute looking but it was just aight... Pretty much the standard of what you get all around town. It had a weird after taste though, mebbe it needed more fresh lime juice, shrimp paste and a high quality fish sauce. But somehow I don't think it would had saved it.


(Gang-Kheaw-Wan)

Green Curry with chicken. Asked for super Thai Thai Hot... Why do I keep doing this to myself. I know better than that, especially, with green curry in this town. Green curry in Thailand is un-fucking-real, had nothing like it in the States to date and I prolly never will because no one here makes it with fresh green chili's. Like most places around here, all they do is just add red chili flakes to it... Yeah, RED chili flakes on GREEN curry. Is it fucking Christmas? I don't think so. The heat was so weak (obviously from a can), I woulda been embarrassed to serve this because it tasted way too sweet, instead. Green curry does have an inherent sweetness but the heat should be way more pronounced. Also, they lost another point on the eggplant, it wasn't Thai eggplant, but just some dusty old plain Italian melanzana. The dish wasn't bad, it was just so Americanized.


(Pad-Thai)

Always the dish to test the talent of a Thai kitchen. This version of their national dish was acceptable. They used the right size noodles, most of the right ingredients but the flavor was lacking a bit. It needed more fish sauce, tamarind juice and fresh lime juice. I also like a little more bean sprouts in it for that crunchy texture. This dish is traditionally not spicy but I coulda used a little heat. But it was obviously tweaked for the local palate.

Besides, the latrine smell, the interior and decor was cute but minimal... Which is fine with me because all I care about is the food. They did start lighting a ton of candles, though, so mebbe one of the staffers dropped a monster load in the shitter before they opened. Speaking of which, the service was friendly (they're super nice people) but the food was just average. It is definitely not a destination spot, I was in the area and I was hungry... And for something like this, it'll do.

Splash.

1 Star.

1995 Windy Hill Rd.
Smyrna, GA 30080
770-333-1700
http://www.siamsquarethaicuisine.com/

No comments: