Monday, October 16, 2017

Jusgo Supermarket Food Court

Does K-Town aka Duluth really need another Asian market and food court? Jesus, this area is so fucking saturated already with a million Korean BBQ joints and Asian supermarkets... Why on god's green kimchi earth would someone open up another market and food court? Prolly because there was a good deal on a empty plot of land that no one wanted, that's why... Asians always love a good deal on real estate. Ok, I'm just talking shit outta my mouth... I have no fucking clue why they opened another supermarket in a heavily saturated market already. But who gives a fuck, it ain't my money on that cursed space. The market itself is not bad actually, there are some good deals in there and some of the items they have in stock are not available anywhere else... Yeah yeah, blah blah blah... What about the food court, Pouch? That's what my one reader really wants to know...
The food court is modern and fancy looking... It's just kinda creepy to see middle-aged FOBs in their 1980's style gym shorts and their muffin tops sticking out from under their beat up vintage 7-Up t-shirts with their sandals off and sitting on top of one leg like an Asian half squat slurping down a giant bowl of spicy hot pot from Uncle Zhu and then picking their nose and wiping it under the table... Dude, we ain't on a side street alleyway in rural China, motherfucker... Do they have no fucking shame..
Let's get back on track and check out some of the goodies to be had... I already knew what were my must tries... The ramen and the Xi'an joints were a must and this fat fuck will prolly toss in a couple other dishes from another joint or two. Let's go take a first look...

Kumai Ramen.
Tonkotsu. Out of all the stuff in this Chinese food court, I was most interested in the tonkotsu... Could there be any way this is half way decent? Well, look at this bowl... It was not bad looking at all. How could this be? There's no fucking way this could taste good... The broth was actually pretty decent in flavor but it didn't have the stickiness of the rich collagen from the pork bones. The thinly sliced chashu was tender and flavorful. The soft egg was pretty much spot on. The little sprinkles of corn, scallions and nori gave it a pop of color... Yeah yeah what about the noodles, Pouch? They were straight noodles with a very decent bite to them so they were not over cooked and mushy. For what it was in a food court, this was not bad at all... I could see myself getting it again if I needed a ramen fix up in this piece.

Beef Tendon Noodle Soup. There was a ton of tendon in here and the caramelized and translucent colors of the tendons were pretty nice. They basically melt in your mouth with little chewing effort. The broth was pretty decent, could be a little richer but for a food court it's passable. The noodle was toothy. Overall, not a bad specimen. It will definitely fill you up after these two bowls... But shit, the pouch ain't don't yet... Next!


Xi’an Gourmet House.
Spicy Cumin Lamb Burger. Shit, how can I pass this up.. If it's anything like Xi'an Famous Foods in NYC, this will be a winnah. But sadly this was not the spicy cumin lamb burger I was looking for. The bun was too thin and kinda doughy. The weak flavored cumin lamb was chewy and the size of the pieces was inconsistent and gristly. I cut this up so my snout can masticate this up easier... But even with smaller pieces it was still tough to get down. This yak muffin looked and tasted so sad.

Minced Pork with Black Soybean Paste Hand-Ripped Noodles (aka ja-jiang mian). This was a hefty basin of crap in a bowl. It was impressive at first glance but why was it so brown... Where's the black soybean paste? Maybe it's on the bottom.. Let's mix this shit up and see.

Nope. No black soybean paste in there.. Just some regular old ground soybean paste (not that there's anything wrong with it). The black soybean paste gives it that little kick with the deeper fermentation flavor... But this didn't look halfway bad. The extra wide noodles were a surprise, didn't expect that at all for this dish but I kinda liked it, though. It was decent tasting noodle dish but nothing exciting enough for me to get it again. This dish will be at the bottom of the rotation... Need to try the many other dishes in this food court before revisiting this lightweight version of ja-jian mian.


Caraway Cafe.
Beef Onion BaoBao. Not bad looking plump puffy pillowy baos. They did their job. It was good enough to enjoy them during this visit but prolly not getting these again in the future.

Stewed Beef Gwa Bao. This bun looked a lot better. But they were out of the peking duck bao... Which was my first choice. So, I guess I'll try the stewed beef one. It looked pretty good, definitely a lot better looking than that cumin lamb burger thinger.

I liked that they put a nice amount of sour mustard on there but does that meat thingy look more like sliced beef tongue? I'm totally ok with tongue, love that shit... But this didn't taste like stewed beef at all, it was almost flavorless. You take a bite and chew and chew to release some type of flavor from the filler and nothing... Just nothing comes out like a castrated bull. Pump this gwa bao all you want... There will be no money shot, maybe a squirt of cobwebs. 

I know I know, why didn't the pouch try the spicy hot pots at Uncle Zhu's... Well, after watching that disgusting nose and toe cheese picking FOB slurping down a big bowl of red broth, I kinda threw up a lil and lost my appetite for spicy hot pot. I will next time, promise. But as for the grub sampled at the spots I did visit, they were totally ok on an average food court level. Nothing blew me away and had to have again but also I may have not gotten a better variety of vittles to test out. I was in rush to get in, try some shit and get the fuck out because I wanted to catch up on more episodes of Big Mouth... That shit is more disgusting and crass than the pouch! My hormone monster is acting up again... Anyone got a pillow or a bathmat? Squirt.

Jusgo Supermarket
3875 Venture Dr.
Duluth, GA 30096

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the cantonese bbq place open yet?

Gastronome said...

Not yet or else I would have eaten at Best BBQ.. but it seems like the build out has been suspended, who knows with them.

Anonymous said...

here's a solid tip:

http://pizzeria-lucca.com/

"just the tip"