Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Whiskey Bird

We all know that Timone's 'ZA was awful and the demise of that place was not missed by many, ok, maybe except for the hobos that lived fat on the uneaten leftovers that were tossed into the dumpster in disgust. This space was like the red-headed stepchild of the angry chef's empire... It sat empty for a shit long time and no one wanted to buy that pizza concept or take a chance in this cursed space... Until now. Whiskey Bird? I like the name already... I have been waiting for a whiskey joint that served fried cheekan forever. All my wildest dreams were coming true and I didn't even vote for Pedro... That was until I looked over the menu and the first thing that came to mind was... What the fuck is a Hong Kong slider? So, this place is a yakitori joint that is not owned or operated by Asians... O-kaay. This is the strangest roundeye concept this town has ever seen... And I thought the Real Chow Baby was bad... That might be the only time when it's ok to throw the baby out with the bathwater. But I'll still bite... Because there's whiskey and HK fwied cheekan sliders... I was so curious to know what these were since I have never seen them in Hong Kong... Am I missing out on something amazing here?
As usual, the early opening hype gave this new spot a nice buzz with the curious crowds... The bar is average size but the whiskey selection was weak. With a name like that you better bring your A game to the whiskey list and the prices for a pour was a bit overpriced but it was Morningside after all... There's a lot of suckaz to be had. Speaking of suckaz, I got in line and waited around just like an average nobody... Get to live the rest of my visit here like a schnook. Then a spot opened up at the bar and I was a couple feet closer to the party liquors. Just give me a shot of whiskey and a beer and I'll be happy for a bit while I peruse the one page menu. They got a couple of large plates, salads and green stuff but the real draw here was the yakitori and HK sliders... Let's see what kinda mess I can get into here...




Sticky Soy Chicken, roasted garlic, miso. If she tells me that this is tuna again, I will have to run her down in the back alley and make her call me big poucha... Throw your hands in the air, if yous a true player... All I wanna throw in the air was that damn napa shards. C'mon, who's really gonna eat that cabbage. Just plate the sticks on some nice paper or doilies. The chicken nuggets were neither sticky or soy-ey. They tasted like they were dunked in soy sauce and then put on the grill without brushing them any further. There was no sugar content to caramelize them or make them sticky. These were just some plain old chicken bits on a stick. I don't know what that blob was but I assume it was the roasted garlic miso... Or phlegm. This whole thing was so boring that it should be under the kiddie menu.



There is really nothing Asian about the food... When I hear the word yakitori, I think of exotic meats and offal on a stick like in a back alley izakaya... But all I got was gringorized grub with hints of Asian taint on it. I really wished the menu was better developed, sourced and executed here because it coulda been a really cool concept if it was done right. I'm still mad about the lame ass selection of whiskey they had... That prolly made the food even more disappointing... Wait, I don't think any amount of brown juice coulda made it tasted any better.
I want to like this place because the staff was pretty nice overall but it really needs to revamp the entire menu and make things that represent yakitori better. Or better yet, make this more of a primary drinking establishment with the food as a secondary focus to keep the people here and drink more... Like at a real yakitori-ya/izakaya joint. For now, I'll wait until they get their shit together...

1409-D North Highland Avenue NE
Atlanta, GA 30306
https://eatwhiskeybird.com/

1 comment:

typingperson said...

I love this passive-aggressive description of the restaurant from their website:

At Whiskey Bird we try to stay away from labels when it comes to our food. We bring together the vibrancy of Asian flavors with the diversity of American tastes to create dishes that embody our inventive and creative spirit. We want our dishes to be unexpected, uninhibited and most importantly, unforgettable. But for those of you who want to label us, we just hope it will be as your favorite neighborhood restaurant.