Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Petit Chou

I first noticed this little shack when I rode by to Brother Moto's grand opening party (their new space fucking rocks, makes me wanna whip my cock out for them in excitement but they might not see it)... Then I remember reading a little snippet about this joint in some local rag. A little Fronch bistro in this area? Who the hell is gonna come here for frog vittles... Then I remembered that's what they said about Home Grown years ago and look at them now. Shit, this area has been such a shithole for so long that it's finally getting the makeover it deserves recently with renovations and new builds all around this area. This little bistro gives the area a breath of fresh air and it will be the start of something bigger. I have no clue how the grub will be but I assume it will be a decent coffee breakfast lunch spot that will focus on the locals and sourcing locally. It's a small place with a large wrap around bar in the center with tables along the perimeter... I like it, it looks cozy and neighborly like. Let's take a first look on some classics... I hope it doesn't disappoint, please don't suck ass, baby Jesus, please...

Petit Dejeuner Ville du Chou/ Cabbagetown Breakfast Bowl, grits, Tillamook Farms sharp cheddar, bacon (chicken sausage, ham or veggie sausage), poached egg, argula, tomato concasse. That is some fucking long ass description for a simple bowl of grits with crap on top. It kinda reminds of Tupelo Honey's breakfast bowls... Hmmm, but don't tell them that... Shhhh, hush little fat pouch don't you cry, Petit Chou's gonna feed you now. It's a decent size portion for breakfast, if you're one them peoples who eat breakfast... I think breakfast is for wimps. So, I eat my breakfast at 1:30 in the afternoon like a real man (or pretend to be). I was more curious about this bowl than I was hungry for it... Yes, I do stupid things like order food that I don't really want but I'm all about FOMO... You know, the fear of missing out... It's ok the pouch was prepared for at least 5 dishes for lunch today. The bacon was cooked spot on, like perfect color, crunch, fat content and grease factor... This bacon should be on a fucking commercial. The tomato concasse was peeled and seeded nicely but what stood out was that they had a little kick to them as if they added a little vinegar in there. The arugula was more for color and the bitter flavor to offset the heavy flavors in the bowl which wasn't really necessary but I get it that they needed color and filler in the bowl. The grits coulda been a bit more creamier but it worked with the cheddar lightly melted on top. The poached egg was not as runny as it shoulda been to coat all the goodies in the bowl. Overall, it's a decent breakfast bowl but there is a lot of room for improvement on this... Like adding some light gravy to it to give it that extra homey comfy factor to it.

Croque Madame, grilled ham & cheese melt, dijon, gruyere, poached egg. This is prolly the main reason I came here... I just can't say no to a croque. They had both the monsieur and madame... And since I'm an egg slut (oh, I wished there was an Eggslut here), I had to go with the one with egg. This was unlike most classic croque madames... It was stuffed with so much ham. The gruyere melted on top is a common thing now. You usually don't see it with a poached egg on top, mostly a fried egg to give it that slight grease factor and the little crunch on edges of the fried egg. If the poached egg was runnier, it woulda worked for me... I like runny yolks on top of the croque madame. It was kinda silly taking a bite of the sando and then a bite of the egg separately, when it should be all in the same bite. But as a whole, all the classic flavors were there... They may want to make a couple of minor adjustments to make this a craveworthy croque. I still liked it... But I would try the monsieur first before getting this again.

Biscuits & Gravy, housemade southern swiss dairy buttermilk biscuits, chicken sausage gravy, poached egg. This afternoon breakfast was beginning to look more and more like lunch and dinner combined for the pouch... But who can resist an order of biscuits & gravy on the side? It was either this or the morning biscuit... I know it's not exactly a fronch bistro type of grub but I had to have one or the other since they are the litmus test of a good southern breakfast joint. I know what y'all are thinking... Are you really gonna eat that too you fat fuck? Fuck yeah I am... I never leave a bowl unturned or behind. Ok, it's no comfy chicken but it's got what it takes to make the pouch smile... The poached egg was there again, even though it wasn't runny once again to layer the yolk all over everything, but what it lacked in yolkiness it had flavor, real tasty flavor from the chicken sausage gravy that drenched every bite. The biscuit had texutre and held together well unlike so many other biscuits that falls apart when you breathed on it. It was so tasty I even licked the bowl like a dog in front of everyone... With this crowd, there wasn't even a blink of an eye on what I did. Fuck yeah, I like this place already after only a couple bites of the menu.

It seems like every dish on the menu had a poached egg in it... They must really love poaching eggs... Or was Louis Cyphre cooking in the back? He loves eggs just as much as the pouch does. Even though, the poached egg was more on the solid yolk side, I was still ok with them putting them in almost every dish... At least there's a theme here. Overall, I like what I'm seeing and tasting here so far. A few tweaks here and there on the simple menu and I think it will be a hit with the locals. When this fucking rain stops in forty days and forty nights, their outside patio will be a nice little spot to enjoy your grub. They are only serving breakfast and lunch for now and will eventually do dinner when they're good and ready to... Can't wait to see what's on the dinner menu and booze list. 

662 Memorial Dr SE
Atlanta, GA 30312
http://petitchouatl.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does this restaurant serve chitlins?