Thursday, April 6, 2017

Nam Phuong

We all know that the best thing for a massive hangover is a big bowl of the all curing pho... And it looks like the roundeyes are starting to come out of their shell and self-medicating themselves with some ancient Asian secwets as well. After a night of self loathing binge drinking of anything that resembles brown party liquor, I usually require a few doses of my morning after pill... And that pharmacy is called Nam Phuong. The weekends are the worst time to come here because it's a fucking madhouse... Literally. Every fucking nutjob and cuckoo is present and accounted for here... And the lady running the joint could be a shoe in for nurse Ratched, commanding this institution with an iron fist and battleaxe. But I don't care... I'm fat, drunk and stupid... And I make terrible debilitating life choices... But this is not one of them. I have always been a cheerleader for this joint because they fucking slay it every time I come here... What nailed it for me was their fish sauce glazed wings that I had almost a decade ago, one of the sickest dishes I have tasted coming out of any kitchen. Their family menus are one of the best values around and no one knows about it. But this has become my go to hangover spot recently... It used to be Lee's but they have dumbdown their pho so much over the last few years, it's disappointing and dishonorable to their family that they really should commit seppuku, but their bread is still pretty kickass (buy a shitload for $1 after 4pm!).
Enough chitchat... Time to abort this hangover today... And then do it all over again tonight.

Rice Cakes. These little nuggets are some of the best nibbles on the menu... So many people just bypass these and they are missing out. These were the best execution I have ever had here on this visit. The crispy crust on the outside, tender rice cake inside and the scrambled egg tying this mess all together absorbs the boozy devil outta ya.

Pho, meatballs, tendon, tripe. A big bowl of cow offal is udderly awesome for any type of substance abuse the night before. The soothing silky beef bone broth will get you down from that high. There is nothing like filling my fat body with a gallon of this holy water to wash away the pain that is my measly meager and trivial existence. The tripe and tendon help replace my empty soul and the meatballs to fill my wrinkled satchel to make me feel a man again.

Bun Bo Hue. If you can't exorcise the demon within with the two previous antidotes then their spicy bun bo hue will burn that mofo to the bowels of hell... Ok, it's not that spicy, it's like a 5 out of 10. But it's filled to the brim with stuff only a cannibal could love... And the pouch. Pig blood cubes, shanks, oxtails, pig knuckles, pig nads, brains, ears, fingers, toes and taints... It's like the Vietnamese Prego, it's motherfucking in there, yo. A couple of years ago, I was on a mission for the best bun bo hue in this one horse town, I went all around and only found a handful of Viet joints that did this bowl and only two joints were acceptable in the end... This joint and another that was not on Bufo Hwy. It's not the best BBH I have ever tasted but for the convenience and price this will do to cure that hangover and clean out your bowels. 

My frivolous life is just one neverending vicious cycle... Drunk, sober, drunk, squirt, sober, drunk, flush, sober, drunk, burp. That's what happens when you make a deal with Louis Cypher at the bottom of the bottle. But luckily, Nam Phuong is my angel heart. I'm ready for more whiskey... Gulp, burp, repeat... And then cry myself to sleep again.

 4051 Buford Hwy NE
Atlanta, GA 30345

No comments: