Friday, February 6, 2015

Grub Burger Bar

I don't usually fall for chain/franchise burger joints... Especially, Shake Shack. I ate there once at the original shake in Madison Square Park years ago. Let's just say it was an hour and half of my measly life that I will never get back. I am having an extremely difficult time processing how many pedestrians are raving about the new location in Buckhead. I know I will have to eventually make a visit so I can shit all over it on here so my one fan can get a quick laugh. But anyways, I was hankering for a burger real bad and I even thought about going to Steak 'n Shake, the horror... Then I realized that this joint just opened up in the old Lettuce Souprise you space. I didn't even look at the menu online, I didn't give a shit, I just needed a burger STAT.
The space is quite large for a burger joint, I like the wrap around bar which you can put your order in vs. standing in line, order and find a seat/table. The bar is always the best seat, booze is at arms reach and I don't have to wait in line. Sweet. Then I see the Ghost burger made with ghost chili sauce and jalapeños on the menu... The rest they say is either history or down the toilet. Place your bets...

Ghost. Pepper Jack cheese, ghost chili sauce, grilled jalapeños, lettuce and tomato. I'ma skeered! It looks diabolical. My bowels are screaming for mercy already. Ok, let's eat some skinny fries first... They are not bad, not bad at all. Let's cut the burger in half and see what falls out.

Medium well is their standard practice, so, I naturally ask for medium rare just to bust their balls... And they did it! No fucking way! And it was pink in the center... No double fucking way! I'll tell you what, the ghost chili sauce is a lot spicier than I thought, it's probably the peak for most average palates which means most people will not be able to handle it. Me on the other hand, I'm a sick bastard, I like super spicy shit because I am a man. The jalapenos gave it a small boost to the heat level. The meat is ground daily per disclaimer and the meat was pretty juicy but it needed more seasoning even with the ghost chili sauce and japs on top. The bread supposedly is made in house as well and it did it's job. But overall, I am totally ok with this "spicy" burger. I probably won't order it again until I have sampled every other one first.

The Front Porch, sweet potato fries,sprinkled with rosemary dust. With the plain burger, you can see exactly how it's cooked on the flat top. It had nice char and crusty bits which is real nice. This was also cooked to temp, medium rare as requested. That is pretty impressive, two in a row. The sweet tater fries were decent, needed a lil more time to crisp up in the fryer. The magic mary dust was non-existent. It is a decent burger. 

Chipotle Ketchup, Jalapeño Ranch, Mississippi Comeback sauces. The ketchup was ok, the ranch was nice and the comback sauce... C'mon, stop that donkey shit.

Harlem Chicken Tenders, Dr Pepper BBQ sauce, Mississippi Comeback sauce. I saw the guys next to me eating this and I had to have it... Even though I just inhaled those burgers and fries. Look at that portion for $7.50 with fries! Damn, I'm such a fat piece of shit with no shame. The crust was crispy and full of little nooks and crannies and the cheekan inside was tender, juicy and piping hot. I don't know what the fuck a Harlem chicken is but I'll take it. The BBQ sauce was ok and the Comeback sauce, well, you know... It can suck a fat donkey sauced dick. For the price of admission, this could be a full meal.

Nutella Handspun Shake. And of course, you can't leave without getting a Nutella shake... Ready for this? This shake is from a soft serve ice cream machine blended up with your choice of topping and flavor. That is some lazy ass shit but I gotta admit tis was pretty good.

I can't believe this place didn't get destroyed by the pouch on the initial visit. For being opened for a very short time, they actually got more than half their shit together. I would come back to try out the other burgers and items for sho'... The onion rings looked pretty decent. Next time bitches.

2470 Briarcliff Road
Atlanta, GA 30329
678-254-0930
http://www.grubburgerbar.com/druidhills.html

2 comments:

Pinky said...

Ok so this has nothing to do with your review except it reminded me of overrated chains....recently went to Din Tai Fung in Costa Mesa bc I saw it on the travel channel.... Anyways, it sucked so hard. Dry dumplings and dry steamed rice. How do you mess up steamed rice? Should have known better since it was in a mall.

But do you live by me? You do alot of reviews in my hood.

JFM said...

yep. it was surprisingly solid.