Friday, December 19, 2014

Southbound Revisit

I liked what I had on my first couple of visits. I liked the space and the vibe.. Even the desolate location is growing on me. The menu consisted of nothing ground breaking or overly adventurous but I was still drawn to come back and try more of the dishes. Maybe the 3 giant Big Green Eggs had some Pavlovian effect on me... My facehole leaks every time I think about that ginormous smoked bone-in short rib I saw at another table once. Time to run by again and see what's up... Pouch needs a proper rogering of manmeat.

SB Hot Chicken. I had to do it again, see if it has changed for the better. Nope. As a boneless fried chicken, it's great but as a hot cheekan, not even close. Sprinkling some cayenne rub on the top piece does not make it a hot cheekan. I want it drown in super spicy cayenne chicken grease!

Poutine. Their take on the once trendy dish... But it doesn't stop me from ordering it. The gravy was more like a thick sausage gravy, a bit tough to get it on all the fries. It's a tasty dish but not craveworthy enough to order it again.

Wood Grilled Cauliflower, fried florets. This was a cute dish. I liked the cauliflower done two ways. I used to hate this albino shit but as you get older your taste buds just don't give a shit anymore and shove whatever is in front of you into your facehole... Especially, when it's fried.

Mushroom Toast. People still loves this. I'm kinda over it. It's still decent but I rather waste my pouch space on something more substantial.

Fried Green Tomatoes. Small slices of FGT but not too bad overall. I'm kinda over this, too. I bet this stuff to hillbillies is like rice to me, old hats.

Pimento Cheese, bacon jam. What are they thinking with just giving you a couple scraps of bread with this? Ask for more bread when you order this, you'll need it unless you like to eat the pimento out of the jar like a pint of Talenti mango sorbetto. The bacon jam, well, you know, its like bacon toothpaste.. For that beautiful shit eatin' grin.

Steak Frites. I was pissed that they stopped offering the smoked bone-in short rib on a regular basis (available on Wednesday only now) and they were also out of the lamb shoulder at 6:30pm, so, I resorted to getting this ubiquitous dish. But I pleasantly surprised by what a nice piece of ribeye was placed in front of me and it was cooked spot on medium rare. I don't know why restos like to put the meat on top making all the fries soggy with all the manmeat juices dripping down... So, sometimes I imagine the fries are like sexy Nair legs, then it's ok to have your juices run down them.

Wood Grilled Scottish Salmon. I don't order salmon when dining out, it's like ordering a roast chicken for your entree. Just don't do it... So, I usually let some sucka order it so I can take a bite of it. I like salmon but it's so fucking boring. It's prepared the same way everywhere, it's cheaper to just make it at home. But the salmon here was a nice portion and grilled appropriately. Nothing exciting but I guess it's ok for people who don't eat meat. Suckaz.

While this visit didn't raise the food to a new level, it was still totally acceptable because it was consistent and well executed. If you come not on a Wednesday, I would just grab a seat at the bar and order the burger and a few drinks. But come on a Wednesday early if you want the smoked bone-in short rib... I need to clear my calender and prepare for this in advance. I do not want to be disappointed again, you don't want to make the Pouch angry. You don't want the Pouch to smash.


5394 Peachtree Road
Chamblee, GA 30341
678-580-5579
http://www.baconsnobs.com/baconsnobs/welcome.html

No comments: