Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Arepa Mia

The last time I ate at this joint was in Sweet Auburn Market, that was many moons ago. So, now they have a spot next to Trackside... Is it me or has Trackside lost it's entire personality since moving into the new space? I don't know maybe some of the inbred townies still adore it because it's a place they can still hobble in for some cheap swill.

Ok, so let's take another look at the newish arepas et al... Besides the one table that fit normal size human beings, the wrap around counters are a bit small to maneuver more than 2 plates of food. This is Fat America, the land of the obeast. And I'm one of those plump specimens, so I always order more than I really should and juggling the food around with my fat arms and fingers usually lead to one place, either all over me or the floor. I found shrimp in my shirt once at a buffet. I did my best and didn't lose anything important.. I dropped a few sandpaper-like brown paper towels but that's to be expected. Imagine wiping your ass with that 100 grit shit... Latin food goes through me like water through a crack in the dam, fierce. Luckily, I have a fast tricycle to get home to my Charmin before the pouch implodes. Alright, let's get to work..

Domino Empanadas. Black beans, plantains and queso. These plump little fuckers are G U U D. Super crispy and hot tub balls boiling hot. This filling option is better than the meats because it stays really crispy and doesn't get soggy. That nata thinger tasted more like mayo vs. sour cream. The guasacaca cilantro sauce was kinda boring, but had great color, though. Time to break out the hot sauces...

Their 3 hot sauces were placed there just so there's something to squirt on things (I'm a big fan of squirting on things, inanimate or otherwise), the habanero sauce was too watery and not spicy enough, the Thai thing was ok (looked more spicy than it was) and the mild, just forgetitboutit. Those damn koozies were beggin to be five finga discounted but I made sure they stayed intact inside the building. Ok, I didn't have any pockets to put them in because I had on my Lulu yoga outfit.

Pabellon Cachapas. Shredded grass-fed beef, plantains, black beans and queso with cilantro sauce. Looks like a mess I left on my neighbor's walkway after the other night of binge drinking but this tasted like newborn unicorns and freshly made mini double rainbows. Most of the time when you see crap on a plate or in a bowl, that shit is usually pretty damn tasty.

Pernil Arepa."12 hour roasted River View Farms pork". It was pretty tender and juicy so any attempts to try to eat this like a sando will fail. Fork and knife time. The portion was pretty good even though this thing wasn't cheap. Looks like they are squirters, too, because those two sauces are on everything. No doubt the arepas are the stars here, if you want to eat it like a sandwich get something less messy for the filler.

The grub is still pretty good. I would vouch for them. I wished they did some lunch specials or a deal-a-meal thinger because if you want to try a few items that shit adds up and you end up with a lighter wallet and leaving with much fatter fingers, arms and pouch. Don't forget to pick up toilet paper on your way home. Squirt.

307 E. College Ave.
Decatur, GA30030
404-600-3509
http://www.arepamiaatlanta.com/

No comments: