Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Bishop

Could this new local joint be part of a revival for this strip of Avondale Estates? Pallookaville got a lot of people coming back into this part of town and hopefully this joint will contribute to the revitalization... Because we all know this area is basically a ghost town. Shit does not happen here often.

Walked in on a friday night to grab a bite and first look, had somewhat of a decent buzz. Not packed but not dead either. Going good so far. The menu wasn't all that creative but execution and flavor is more important. Plus, I was curious about that damn Pine Street Market smoked fried cheekan. Ordered an Eschaton beer to start, very nice with an "earthy spiciness". So, looking through the menu, a couple interesting dishes I wouldn't mind trying, others not so much because it can be had anywhere... Then I noticed that the prices of on the menus we got have different prices scattered around for some of the dishes. Then I noticed the fried chicken was not $16 anymore, it was $18 on one menu and $19 on the other. This is fucking ridiculous. Got the server to see WTF is going on with this marlarkey. He comes back with the higher priced menu and says this is the correct one. Naturally, yeah, I'm sure it is. So, basically $20 for two pieces of fried chicken I says to the server. What a fucking ripoff. But it's a very special fried chicken from a very special place, he retorts. Automatically, I'm thinking of Popeyes headquarter's kitchen... Then I woke up. That is an outrageous price tag for two pieces of cheekan but I order it anyways. Then the server tells me, oh, we're out of them... At 7:30PM on a friday night that wasn't even slammed. Who did that inventory for their prized dish? This ain't H&F's burger is it? So, you know I'm furious now and want to walk outta there but I had a beer already. This bummed me out and now I have to resort to looking at that dreaded menu again for something edible and at what mystery price must I pay for it.

Kale Salad. Yeah yeah... The hipster's salad. I don't know what to tell ya... It's like something my sister would make and she can't cook worth a shit.

The Burger with House Chips. This is what I came up with to replace the special overpriced fried chicken duo... A fucking burger because nothing else sounded that interesting. When I see prime rib, I think of elderly citizens. I thought this would be the safest bet, plus, I'm always on the lookout for a new "it" burger of the year. This wasn't it. It was cooked spot on at mid-rare but there was nothing spectacular in the patty that made me want to shit unicorns, piss rainbows and throw up cute puppies with flowers in their little mouth. It's like a good backyard burger from a neighbor that borrows all your lawn equipment and tells you that they are going to return it tomorrow everyday. The house chips were decent, crispy and had some nice flavor to it with the garlic aioli. It's a decent hood burger if you're in the area, not a destination meat flap.. Like at the Clermont Lounge. At least they didn't jack up the price on this thing when I got the bill.

French Dip Sliders. So, the better half didn't want the risotto, BLT or the reuben. This is what came out... That damn senior citizen house special with shaved prime rib. When I think of shaved and prime... I'm not thinking about sliders. I would slide something else into it, instead. OK, this wasn't that bad. It was pretty tasty with that jus. I'm just kinda over it with sliders everywhere... You broads think you're eating light with small cute little sandos but who are you trying to kid? After inhaling 3 of them, it's the same fucking thing as eating one and a half burgers. OINKERS! Anyway, these sliders were totally acceptable. 

It wasn't a terrible first look but a lot of things bugged me with their operation which made the whole experience less fun. Like jacking up the prices after the AJC piece, not once but twice. And running out of the jacked up dish. The server was doing his best and did a good job. None of that bullshit was his fault. Am I ready to return anytime soon? Fuck yeah I am... But across the street to Pallookaville. They have boozey shakes and girthy corndogs. Call me when you get those two pieces of divine chicken in.

124 N Avondale Rd.
AVondale Estates, GA
404-692-5454
http://thebishopae.com/

No comments: