Thursday, September 8, 2011

Serpas

I've been here a handful of times since they opened in 2009. While it isn't the most adventurous menu around, it is one of the most consistent around. And that's why I've always been a fan. Like his moniker, his cooking is "True Food". The space is pretty unique, nice open space and the wall of windows make it look larger than it is. I like it ah lot.

I don't know if it was the influence of resto week but the place was pretty packed the last time I stopped in. The crowd was borderline with fucking hipsters and cougar central... I didn't know if I should break dance or break a hip. Let's just break bwead, instead...


(Chicken Liver Pate)

The pate looks like a scoop of coffee ice cream but it isn't I assure you. The pate isn't mindblowing but it does the trick. Decent flavor and texture. Buttery toasties. Pickled red onions were nice.


(Crispy Duck Rolls)

Ok, these were just silly... $9 for wannabe Asian grub. They needed more flavor and time in the fryer. Cracker Pride time.


(Gumbo)

A little watery but not bad at all... Needed more thickener, filé, okra or roux. Hell, all of the above. But it was pretty tasty nonetheless.


(Pork Belly)

Look at that piglet... A perfect balance of meat and fat. A little crispy on top and caramelized nicely. He knows how to cook a proper pork belly, consistently. Pickled mustard seeds were cute but didn't do much for the dish. Nice little hidden surprise under the green skirt... A four cheese ravioli sans fromunda.


(Short Rib)

Now, that's a piece of man meat... I didn't know if should eat it or stuff it down my pants to impress the floozies in the jacuzzi. It was a tough choice but I decided to eat it and it was better than sex... With a sheep. I kid, I kid... No, really. Babababa.


(Toffee)

I'm not a dessert person but sometimes it's ok... A bite or two suits me fine. And that's what this was... A 2 biter. That's what she said. Oh, snap.


(Mousse thinger with peanut brittle)

This just looked weird... Oh, I'm stuffed, can't take another bite, you have it, hunnee bunnee. Knock yourself out.

A few items on the menu are misses but stick with the main attractions and you'll be fine. The service was purdy good, not too overbearing. The wine list changed a bit but you can still find some good ones on there that aren't a total rip off.

Good eats, True dat.

3 Stars.

659 Auburn Ave.
#501
Atlanta, GA 30312
404-688-0040
http://www.serpasrestaurant.com/default.php

No comments: