Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Coco's Chinese Restaurant

Fat Boy has left the building and Coco is cuckoo for fishballs up in this piece.

Although, people have raved about how good Wan Lai was, coming in once every couple of months doesn't pay the bills. I thought the food was good but it wasn't crave worthy for me to come here on a regular basis like Ming's (I don't care if they serve cat, shit is dericious). So, out with the old in with the new. Well, the interior hasn't changed much. Shit looks Edzackery the same .

Some people on the interwebz were saying this was Cantonese grub... Hmm, ok, read the menu next time, whatever. I've been stalking this joint ever since the demise of Wan Lai to see what was coming in. When it finally opened, I had to check out the menu... Fuzhou this, Foochow that and Fujian other, with a little mish-mash of other Chinese cuisines thrown in there for good measure. Oh, fuck, not another try at a Fushit resto in Atlanta. Fuzhou cuisine is mostly full of limp and lifeless dishes. There's no crackle or pop... More like wet firecrackers. Dim Sum Heaven's initial Fuzhou grubbery were sloppy seconds at best (regurgitated funk). They eventually succumb to the powers of pedestrianism and changed out their menu for authentic Chino-American cuisine instead.

Anyhoo, here's the initial impression... Just look at the damn pictures. I'm tired of typing, my finger tips hurt. To keep it authentic, I'm using their native tongue and spelling as is on the menu...

(Check out my nuts. Careful, they're fragile.)

(Taro Pie - Big crispy wedge of compacted Taro powder.)

(Fish Ball Soup - More than meets the eye! May be the only decent Fuzhou dish ever created.)

(Fish Ball - Up close and personal. There's meat inside! No wonder chicks like to swallow. Me too.)

(Roester Duck - Thin, crispy skin, tender meat. Just damn tastee and a great value at $8.50.)

(Chow Fun with Beef - Not bad looking and tasting, could use a little more flava but I liked it.)

(Salt & Pepper Shrimp - Talk about blood flow. They gave me a full head-on. I sucked that head dry. Almost pitched a pant-tent. Shit was dericious.)

(Pickled Mastard with Pork Casserole - Flavors were great but the rice against the claypot needed to be charred a little longer, make that a lot longer. Still tastee nonetheless but shit, dude, do it right next time.)

They had soup dumplings on the menu but they were not available at the time, so, I will definitely hit them up again for them and see how they stack up. BTW- I learned that in order for it to be a real soup dumpling (xiao long bao), it needs to be folded 14 times and super thin skin of course.

The menu is not bad and the food was surprisingly better than I thought, afterall, it was Fuzhou. I hope there's more surprises in store for me next time.

Go check it out. You may be surprised by a dish or two as I have... Or not. I don't care.

3 Stars.

4897 Buford Highway
Suite 104
Chamblee, GA 30340
678-580-3063

No comments: